3-21 Report

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
brntrout

3-21 Report

Post by brntrout »

My son and two of my grandson's were out yesterday and fished a small stream near Chatfield. In about 3 hours they caught approx, 20 brown trout. Most ran 11 to 13 inches. All the fish were caught on orange scuds except one which my youngest grandson caught on a spinner.

Water clarity was very good, one could see down to a depth of 4 feet roughly.

Based on hydrograph's the only streams still high are the largest!

LaufenD

Re: 3-21 Report

Post by LaufenD »

Tom - You're a Grandpa... didn't know! Congrats. and thy're fishermen. Great!

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Dennis,

I have 3 kids that all married and they each have 3 kids. I have 5 grandson's and 4 granddaughters Even the girls fish some but not as much as the boys.The same kids that fished yesterday are fishing right now on a popular streams south of I -90. I'll probably get a report pretty soon on how that did today! BTW i just drove by a number streams about half an hour ago and they were all in great shape.

Randy
Site Admin

Post by Randy »

I got out late this morning and fished through the afternoon. Nice day to be in the valley out of the wind, but there was a stretch or two when the wind messed around with us. Saw one fish rise, about 4 inches from my leader, otherwise not much bug activity. Caught fish on larger midge larva pattern (size 16?), PT soft hackle, and flash green perdigon trailer was most effective through the day.

Water had the perfect stain to it at the start and was clearer in the afternoon. Never took the temp

Blackdog1101

Post by Blackdog1101 »

I was out on a creek north of 90, using a vintage Heddon bamboo rod. Managed to get skunked. Didn’t see any bugs, no rising fish. I probably wasn’t fishing deep enough. The wind was an issue at times. Still good to be out on a stream rather than cooped up at home.

High Stick

Post by High Stick »

I fished yesterday from 11-2. Water was up a bit and chalky (wouldn't call it dirty). Fished streamers and killed it. Fish were aggressive and chasing. Downstream and across bringing the fly against the current worked wonders. I knew it would be windy, so I went with a new six weight I got this winter but haven't tried out until Sunday.Worked wonderfully in the conditions at hand.

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

I fished the upper end of a larger system S. of 90 yesterday with a buddy. Water was stained and I'm guessing a bit on the cold side. Flow appeared to be about normal. It was tough battling the wind at times but I still managed about 2 doz. browns. All were in the 9-11 inch range with nothing bigger even seen. I had to fish really slow to get them to take my jig. Face got a bit wind burnt but it was nice to get out and put some miles on.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

I forgot too mention I did see a lot cars parked along streams yesterday meaning a decent number of anglers were out. By the reports from you guys that confirms anglers needed a fishing fix!

The popular stream South of 90 i drove by was at normal level. That's first time its been that way in about a year.

Maybe we will have a normal to above average angling season this year?. Right now it looks good but its all about the weather so its a wait and see game.

My kids did not report in yet, but if they do I'll report on how they did yesterday.

At least fishing is one thing people can do to get a little fresh air and get out of the house as long as they stay away from other anglers.
Last edited by brntrout on Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

I have am going to go and bring my sons stuff back from college in the morning. Shouldn't take to long so i'm hoping to get in some fishing in the afternoon.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

BTW my kids did not do that great Sunday they caught 6 fish between the 3 of them in 3 hours. None of fish had any size worth getting excited about either.

My son did mention they saw a lot cars at different bridges on Sunday on stream they fished.

At least so far, people are able to get out and fish that is a positive.