Current Stream Conditio 3--28

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
brntrout

Current Stream Conditio 3--28

Post by brntrout »

My youngest son was out early this morning and fished 3 different streams, all were near perfect condition. He reported ii to me at 11:30 am. Every streams he fished or checked out had cars at the bridges. He did say the North Br. Root River south of Chatfield was high but not that dirty. Since there wasn't much for rain last night and the frost being at least partly out It would take a pretty hard rain to make many of the streams not fish-able.

As usual the only iffy streams are the large streams that lie in large watersheds which drain tens of thousands of acres. Everything else is in good shape,.

Even if we get some decent rainfall amounts today and tonight many small streams that lie in smaller drainage's have the potential to be fish-able. Streams that small/short in length clear out very fast if the they get dirty at all.

I guess we will have to see what happens for rainfall over the next 24 hours to know for sure what stream condition will be like tomorrow. Right now, it looks like the heavy rain won't happen util later in the afternoon today. Plenty of time to still get out and fish for awhile if one gets out now.
Last edited by brntrout on Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

High Stick

Re: Current Stream Conditio 3--28

Post by High Stick »

I fished four different streams, all of varying size and length yesterday. The small ones were crystal with super spooky fish. The larger ones were clearing quickly, even when we got rained on at noon. Not much for hatches today. A few midges was about it. The best fishing was early on before it seemingly got cooler and windier as the day progressed. Small streams would still be in good shape Sunday; it's the gusting winds that will give you more issues.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

I just checked the NOAA rainfall amounts at 9:00 am today for different counties. The counties with the least are Houston and Fillmore and Winona counties. Generally for those counties Houston had the least rainfall, mostly under.50 inches and Fillmore was maybe slightly more. Winona had a range of.40 to .66 inches.

Based on the frost being most out and precip soaking into the ground I would expect there will be fish-able streams for today, but a few streams may be clearer than others.

The good news is its suppose to warm up pretty decent starting tomorrow and Tuesday, low 50's.and sun. The rest of the week will be in the upper 40's with potential for light rain.

If the weather holds for Monday and Tuesday that should raise stream temperatures and 'hopefully" fish feeding activity will increase and fishing will be good to excellent. But as always WE WILL SEE??

I forgot to add weather and stream conditions should be prime for baetis hatches to potentially happen most of the coming week if stream temps get into mid 40's!

Wendy Berrell

Post by Wendy Berrell »

How things looking out there? I see hydrograph for MB WW looks like almost back down to start of event flow. I have also been hearing that "most streams clear." Did hear that one of the bigger systems was "brown" as of yesterday.

I am taking my kid out later today; will report back with any observations.

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

I was through Elba at dark last night and everything appeared to be high and muddy but I couldnt see them all that well either.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

NOAA Hydrographs show most streams are up, some a fair amount, and other not that much. It looks like the prolonged rain fall caught up and most streams will be dirty for awhile. Still I bet some smaller shorter length streams and the headwaters of a few mid sized streams may be fish-able but off color. A lot of the small to mid size streams will clear by the end of the week if not sooner. All I can say is its a good thing we did not have a foot of snow on the ground when we got this last rainfall event or we would be dealing with severe flooding.

Wendy Berrell

Post by Wendy Berrell »

Kid and checked a couple smaller streams south of 90 yesterday. One was just a shade turbid; highly fishable. The other was same size drainage, same north to south flow, but more turbid (still fishable). I talked with a friend who fished another medium sized system further south yesterday; it was pretty much crystal clear.

I was too stubborn yesterday waiting for bugs; they just never materialized. After three days of silly good dry fly and soft hackle action last week, I figured yesterday with the full sun would be outstanding. Didn't happen. Only a few rises here and there; got only a few presenting SH up and down. Had to resort to nymphing to get my kid a couple fish. Lowest fish count day we've had all year; but I brought it upon us.

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

I was down on the family property yesterday. We own the headwaters section and it was borderline clear. I was down doing some food plot prep and didn't fish. My boys wen't fishing about a mile down stream from where I was and did quite well. My 11 year old was quick to tell me he landed 13 in about 2 hours. They were both fishing with small jigs that are more or less an olive woolybugger pattern. Hoping I can get back down to the river after work. The jumbo perch bite has been real.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

I had some things to do down at the cabin which is on popular stream South of I-90. The stream on the upper end was slightly stained but very fish-able on the lower end it was fish-able but stained a fair amount with water clarity about 2 feet or so. A few other streams in the area are about the same. Overall there is plenty of fish-able water. Wendy B's report is probably a good over view of the area.

Since baetis have been hatching on and off for over month i'm wondering if the "early baetis" hatch is close to finished, even tho baetis are multi brod species. So we might have to wait for spring caddis and Dark Hendrickson's to commence. I would guess DH's are very close on streams that still have them and decent caddis activity is 2 to 3 weeks away provided the weather cooperates and streams stay fish-able.

Of course, some decent midge activity should continue on and off for quite awhile.

As far as productive fly patterns the most available bugs for trout to eat right now are: scuds, ( in different colors) midges in varying life cycle stages, sizes and colors,, peeking caddis, baetis nymphs, cranefly larva and DH nymphs when used on the right streams. These are the bugs trout are seeing the most of right now. Of course, other nymph patterns will work too, but possibly not be as productive.

'm sure streamer and buggers should work decent too.

Trout should get more active as stream temperatures start rising into the 50's.

As long as stream temps keep rising, and streams stay clear, fishing should continue to improve steadily from now on!

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

I forgot too mention in my last post, I did see A LOT of people out fishing. Many cars at every bridge!