Going to try some Social Distancing today

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
TaG

Going to try some Social Distancing today

Post by TaG »

Any one been out looking at streams lately?
Going to head out today, will post a report later.

S.T.Fanatic

Re: Going to try some Social Distancing today

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

Whitewater is murky murky and high but not horrible.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Most streams are in great shape. The mid size streams are slightly stained and the largest are a little off color. Unless you insist on fishing only larger streams you should not have any problem finding fish-able water somewhere.

Keep in mind that could change as rain is moving into our area starting tonight and going through Saturday maybe into Sunday. If weather predictions are correct stream conditions will deteriorate by the weekend.

Best bet fish now!

TaG

Post by TaG »

brntrout wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:12 am
Most streams are in great shape. The mid size streams are slightly stained and the largest are a little off color. Unless you insist on fishing only larger streams you should not have any problem finding fish-able water somewhere.

Keep in mind that could change as rain is moving into our area starting tonight and going through Saturday maybe into Sunday. If weather predictions are correct stream conditions will deteriorate by the weekend.

Best bet fish now!
That’s why I want to get out today
Thanks

Wendy Berrell

Post by Wendy Berrell »

MB WW hydrograph has receded a lot; I'd be surprised if it were "chocolate milk" at this point. I'm assuming it's more like "slightly turbid" - is that your gauge Cam?

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

Wendy Berrell wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:50 am
MB WW hydrograph has receded a lot; I'd be surprised if it were "chocolate milk" at this point. I'm assuming it's more like "slightly turbid" - is that your gauge Cam?
Yes
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

dpnoll

Post by dpnoll »

Fished a stream near "none of your damn business Minnesota" and the water was very clear. Landed 7 and lost 4 in about 1 hour 20 minutes. Saw 4 other cars on the way out and talked for about 15 minutes with another older gent stream side. We did maintain a nice social distance. I was done just before noon and didn't take water temp or didn't see any bugs. Used a nymph and caught everything either in moving water or at the beginning of pools.

TaG

Post by TaG »

Well......fished south of 90. Didn’t get out as early as I had wanted do to virtual clinic visits that I hadn’t expected.
First place 4 cars, second choice 3, third only had one. Water was fishable but borderline high and fast, I didn’t get a temp but did discover a leak in my waders and the water seemed plenty cold. Fished a variety of nymphs and streamers with limited success ie 1 fish. I did bump into the lather angler. Young man who just started fly fishing last fall. We chatted for a while. He was rigged waaayyy to shallow, had no weight on the fly and way to short of leader. Got him set up better, looked at his fly box, which had a very limited selection, picked out some scuds and PT nymphs for suggested flys, worked on his casting and went on my way. I hope he had better luck after I left.
Last stop was very fishable but it was almost 4 pm so I think the water had cooled enough to shut down the fish, managed one more on a purple Prince and called it a day. Hope to get out next week if the rain doesn’t muddy the streams too much.
Stay safe all.
Bob

High Stick

Post by High Stick »

Bob, timing is everything right now. Friday before the "big shutdown," temps in the 50's, and no rain. Not surprised there was considerable traffic. I had a buddy fishing south of 90 and he commented on the same - lots of cars.

The fishabe water convo: the maps are valuable to look at in general. I look more at rainfall totals (24, 48, 3 day, 7 day, etc.) to gauge where I think the cleanest water will be. This tactic was how I managed to find more clean water than not last summer. The other variable the gauge doesn't consider is land use, topography, etc. This plays into whether or not a stream is fishable, unfishable, just off...pick your description.

I'm out the door shortly, hoping this afternoon's will deter many.

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

It rained most of the night in Altura on Saturday/Sunday. Streams are high and muddy. I would imagine that by the weekend most everything will be in good shape if we don't get anything more than a light rain here and there.