Bill Allows Center Fire Rifles State Wide

The latest conservation news, issues, or concerns in our backyard, city, state, or country.
brntrout

Bill Allows Center Fire Rifles State Wide

Post by brntrout »

This bill would allow for center fire rifles to be used state wide during deer season. I'm not sure its a big deal or not, what do you guys think?

http://www.startribune.com/legislation- ... 568045942/
Last edited by brntrout on Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcktrout

Re: Bill Allow Center Fire Rifles State Wide

Post by mcktrout »

I imagine the issues are safety vs increased harvest rates to combat CWD.

Many use rifles for predator/coyote hunting in slug zones.

I am not aware of any unsafe behavior or accidents resulting in harm to people.

Some published safety guidelines for those new to rifles may be helpful. Otherwise, IMO, safety not a huge issue.

Interested in what others think.

The harvest success would likely improve. Increased range and accuracy of rifles, etc.

Will the action defeat CWD? Likely not, but I am in favor of doing all we can and in giving new solutions a chance to succeed.

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

It will greatly reduce the number of wounded deer IMO. While winter trout fishing in a couple of different reaches through state land over the years it would almost make you cry how many carcasses there are near the streams. And a Monster deadhead or two that got packed out.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

I guess i'm not against giving rifles a try.

I would agree a little more needs to done providing additional safety information so new rifle hunters understand the range of most center fire rifle is going to be 33 to 50 % greater than shotgun and muzzle loaders using sabot slugs.

As far as harvest, it should show an increase in registered animals but not necessarily animals killed.. Currently IMO there are a lot of animals that get wounded and die later that do not get registered! If monitored morality rates increase because of improved accuracy and effect range being better it is a good thing. That may mean less animals/carcasses with CWD are left in the woods to spread the disease?

There is no getting rid of CWD. Once it gets spread it has NEVER been successfully stopped in its tracks in any state ever!

Kind of like the Coronavirus or other " NEW unknown viruses" . Once it gets spreads its all over but crying. There is no stopping it until it run its course on its own.

Cutthroat

Post by Cutthroat »

brntrout wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:50 am
I guess i'm not against giving rifles a try.

I would agree a little more needs to done providing additional safety information so new rifle hunters understand the range of most center fire rifle is going to be 33 to 50 % greater than shotgun and muzzle loaders using sabot slugs.
I agree.