Won’t have to break rods down between streams.

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
TaG

Won’t have to break rods down between streams.

Post by TaG »

I have been wanting something to put my rods on when traveling relatively short distance between streams. Most of the ones one line were too expensive for what you get.
I found this DIY project on line.
What do you all think ?
A4A66321-4AB5-4B91-8362-C14605C47C70.jpeg
161F10C2-831E-41E3-9E4A-08B309EFF3FF.jpeg

TFO5wt

Re: Won’t have to break rods down between streams.

Post by TFO5wt »

I seriously considered buying the manufactured versions of this rod holder. My concern was the dust that gets kicked up driving the gravel roads. It could be problematic for reels without fully sealed drags. Fly lines would also collect a lot of dust which I thought could lead to premature breakdown of the coating. However, putting it on the cover of the truck bed would probably eliminate most of the dust over short distances.

I just keep my rod rigged but break it in half and put in the box or on the dash of my truck.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

jrs

Post by jrs »

Nice job.

I've got a diy rack in my RAV4 SUV. Telescopic shower rod in the back, pool noodle with slots cut for rid tips between the front headrests, Gear Ties and a few other odds and ends.

I can carry four rods. 9' rods fit easily. My 10' rod is a little tight but doable. Nice to have rods inside the vehicle to avoid rod debris and possible theft.

dpnoll

Post by dpnoll »

Traveling between streams is never a problem with my Tenkara rod.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

I guess, all that is important is whether it works for you or not?

Troutchaser

Post by Troutchaser »

I find a Subaru Outback great for transporting rods of 9' or less, not broken down. The reel seat ends sit nicely on the privacy pull-over cover, and the rod tips are supported below the rear view mirrors. No need to breakdown rods.

TaG

Post by TaG »

Troutchaser wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:23 pm
I find a Subaru Outback great for transporting rods of 9' or less, not broken down. The reel seat ends sit nicely on the privacy pull-over cover, and the rod tips are supported below the rear view mirrors. No need to breakdown rods.
I made this for about $25 a little cheaper than an Outback :lol: Plus need to pull my duck boat in the fall ;)

I think this will work well for me, I guess I will see how much dust finds it’s way to the rod/reel. I have all Orvis Battenkill reels they have been pretty bulletproof so far.