Season’s End Report

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
TFO5wt

Season’s End Report

Post by TFO5wt »

Rain and blown rivers this summer/early fall put a damper on many of my planned outings. I also got a puppy, a male GSP, this spring and the times I have been out have been as much about getting him acclimated to fishing as they have about just catching fish.

I took him out for the day north of 90 10/13. We hiked for 45 minutes or so away from the truck. Water had what I consider a perfect stain. I had minimal success nymphing, but started moving and catching fish when I switched over to streamers. Wind, drizzle, sleet, snow were all in play throughout the day. Fishing was good, but the real highlight was my dog not going ape bleep when I landed fish. The pup is on his way to being a great fishing partner. A good ending to my 2019 season.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

S.T.Fanatic

Re: Season’s End Report

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

I fished less this year than I ever have since I was about 11 years old. This was also the first time in 22 years that I failed to catch a trout over 20". I took my two sons (11 and 18) out fishing Labor Day weekend and made memories that will last a lifetime. It was a fantastic day on the water and many good sized fish were caught. We each caught 18" trout with the 11 y/o catching two of them. I had every intention of getting back out to some of my big trout spots but the weather had other plans. With my wife coaching volleyball and my two daughters playing there just wasn't any time to get out when the conditions were favorable.

As they say "There's always next year"
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

Cutthroat

Post by Cutthroat »

I did less fishing of every type than I have in MANY years. Didn't get down to the Driftless Area at all due to constant rain/high water levels. Bummer. Hopefully, next year is drier and I get out more.

darklake

Post by darklake »

I did less fishing this year, as well, due to a combination of factors: (1) poopy weather, with little stable weather patterns and lots of wind (northern Minn), (2) rivers being constantly blown out, (3) I'm a granpa now, and (4) I ain't as young as I used to be. Two highlights for me were my youngest son catching his first steelheads and his 2 1/2 year old son (my grandson) catching his first-ever fish off our dock. Grandson was pretty jazzed to see a three inch sunfish on the end of his line (OK, maybe it was only two inches ;) ), and I think he's hooked! Can't wait for next summer.

dpnoll

Post by dpnoll »

Had a really good year. I helped two sisters and a nephew catch their first trout this year. I got to fish in Mn, Wisc, SD, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, Utah and Colorado. Spent a lot of time with old friends and met a lot of new ones.Weather was tough and the rivers were high but heck, I spent a lot of time in really pretty places. Kinda hard to complain.

High Stick

Post by High Stick »

It was a weird trout year: cold and crappy most of the spring, which had an effect on the hatches and water clarity. Wasn't super warm most of the summer, and again, finding clean water was a challenge. Did catch a pile of trout, though, and several over 20". I fished less dries than in year's past Got to fish the area at least forty or so times and a trip to do some fishing in the west. I can't complain, either, plus I like that the season ends, and I focus on other things like deer and pheasants.

trouts

Post by trouts »

It was a very weird year for me. The hatches were all messed up and a few streams I enjoy were pounded by the spring floods. Probably the smallest average size trout I've ever had in a season across all streams I fished. I hope this isn't a new trend with climate change, but have a bad feeling this is the new normal.

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

trouts wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:00 pm
It was a very weird year for me. The hatches were all messed up and a few streams I enjoy were pounded by the spring floods. Probably the smallest average size trout I've ever had in a season across all streams I fished. I hope this isn't a new trend with climate change, but have a bad feeling this is the new normal.
I found the trout to be small during the winter and spring/early summer as well. After returning to the exact same stretches Mid August and later the average size of fish caught went up considerably. Not sure what would cause that but thats the way it was this year for me and two fishing buddies that fish the same water as I do.

I was actually really excited for this year in the off season. On my favorite stretch of water in the 2018 season I found that the average size increase a fair amount (it was pumping out tons of small fish for several years prior) I lost a fish in the 22-23" range and found two others that would have broke 20" and I was excited to get back after them this spring. When I finally got down there to fish in early June I found the same thing as in years prior. Tons of 10-11" trout with only a few fish caught in the 13-15" range and no big fish sighted.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold