Stream Conditions 9-19-19

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
brntrout

Stream Conditions 9-19-19

Post by brntrout » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:50 am

The entire SE area received 1 to 3+ rain early this morning with more rain possibility on the way. Fishing conditions are likely to be very poor through the weekend on the vast majority of streams. :(

Local rainfall amounts: https://forecast.weather.gov/product.ph ... roduct=PNS

jrs

Re: Stream Conditions 9-19-19

Post by jrs » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:49 am

I successfully dodged poor stream conditions a couple times this week. Had great stream conditions (maybe even a little too clear) and fishing on Monday and Wednesday on a small stream south of I-90. It was hot and humid both days and there were very few baetis in evidence, but late summer style fishing with a hopper and dropper was very good both days. Lots of fish hanging in pockets with overhanging grass along the banks and in channels among the aquatic vegetation.

Today's storm seemed to blanket the area north to south and east to west, so my good luck may have come to an end for the week. As fun as hopper season has been this year, I'd welcome some more seasonable cool, dry weather and moving on to baetis and streamer season.

brntrout

Post by brntrout » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:39 pm

John,

One can always find places to fish under some bad weather conditions that cause the majority of streams to be unfishable, but its usually limited to a small number of headwater areas and small streams. Most anglers not in the KNOW/less experienced don't normally like to fish those areas as fishing is usually much more difficult for them

I'm sure if one wanted to spent a lot of time driving checking many areas/streams even today one could find a few fishable streams. If it doesn't rain anymore today or tonight there will be a few streams that experienced anglers know might be fishable tomorrow. The medium and larger size stream will probably be in poor shape!

As most experienced anglers know baetis normally prefer cooler overcast days with even light drizzle for the optimum chance of hitting a decent FISHABLE hatch for dry fly opportunities. We just had those conditions early in the week but again one has to know were the best chance of finding them is with fishable water conditions to make it happen. i'm sure baetis are going under the right conditions and one can find fishable water SOMEWHERE!

Regarding baetis hatches, they have dwindled severely from what they used to be! Now days you're lucky to find a hatch that is worth tying a dry fly on to fish them, unfortunately!

We still have plenty of time to get some decent fishing in before the region wide C&R season closes, "PROVIDED WE DON'T KEEP GETTING POUNDED WITH HEAVY RAINS" ?

TIGHT TIGHTS HOPEFULLY!

Randy
Site Admin

Post by Randy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:18 pm

brntrout wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:39 pm
TIGHT TIGHTS HOPEFULLY!
I'll be wearing my tight tights alright. :)

brntrout

Post by brntrout » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:25 am

I meant tight lines, I'm not sure how I managed to come up with tight tights? :lol: Oh well, S--t happens!

jrs

Post by jrs » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:37 pm

brntrout wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:25 am
I meant tight lines, I'm not sure how I managed to come up with tight tights? :lol: Oh well, S--t happens!
Would have saved me some embarrassment if I knew to our meant tight lines ;-)