3/5 Outing

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
mwinkels

3/5 Outing

Post by mwinkels » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:06 am

Made it out yesterday from 12:30-3:00. It felt like a summer day compared to most days this winter. Heck I even got a start on my trendy coon eyes! Combination sun/wind burn brought warm thoughts to my mind.

The snow is deep! I used snow shoes and still had a tough time. I would still sink about 12"-18" in the white fluffy powder. I remember them working much better when I was 30lbs lighter! I popped them off a couple of times to cross fences. I would immediately sink crotch deep so they did make a difference. The walked back was cake compared to the walk in.

Dress in layers you will work up a good sweat no problem. I walked out with just a long underwear shirt, vest, and light shell jacket. Once I got to where I was going (just got tired and did not want to continue is more like it!) I put on my heavy jacket.

I did not get a stream temp. Just too big of drop off. Might need to tie a string/rope to thermometer for future outings. Very little shelf ice was present.

Trout were just lightly sipping flies into their mouth and my reaction was just to slow so I did not get many to hand. They seemed to like the orange scud w/ black zebra midge trailer over the pink squirrel w/ miracle midge. The orange scud managed to have the most takers. I have never had much luck fishing the orange scud but things seem to be turning the corner for me with it. Not sure what I am doing differently that the change is occurring.

Let's hope for a slow warm up and manageable high water for this spring!
Attachments
Snow Depth.jpg
Snow Shoes.jpg
Path.jpg

brntrout

Post by brntrout » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:48 am

Mike, is that the stream where you helped on our H.I project several years ago? Just curious?

mwinkels

Post by mwinkels » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:37 am

Yes it was

Randy
Site Admin

Post by Randy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:17 am

Looks nice. Just getting into the sunshine is a big boost this time of year.