Float Tube Fishing

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
SubtleSip

Float Tube Fishing

Post by SubtleSip » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:58 am

Any of you on here avid float tube fishermen? I purchased one this weekend for use on lakes and ponds in the area and thought I would ask around here for any tips/suggestions on how to be effective from a float tube. I have read a lot about float tubes being for still water areas, but I can't help the adventurous side of me that says it would be okay to float sections of our SE MN Streams. Any of you been to FA Pond in Rochester? Wondering if it would be too cold for floating with waders soon after the melt. Any thoughts are much appreciated.
"The search for fish is really a search for a grail: the place of perfect companionship and flawless contentment."

Troutchaser

Post by Troutchaser » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:08 pm

Given the nature of most of our "streams", I would not try to float them. You might try it on our "rivers", but you would have to be prepared for downed trees, cows in the water, and especially barbed wire fences. If you can't stand up to get out of the river upstream of a hazard, you will probably end up getting wet (with hypothermia a possibility before May.)

Have found the float tube best suited for ponds and lakes, not moving water, since on moving water, half the time you would be making your way downstream while facing upstream. Quick maneuverability is not easy with float tubes.

Other than that, avoid too much beer while floating or wear Depends! Have fun on the area ponds.

brntrout

Post by brntrout » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Its a good idea to use at least a 9 or 10 foot rod it will help keep your back cast off the water. As for floating SE streams in a float tube it wouldn't be very fun because you would have to stand up and carry the tube through a "TON" of riffles and shallow water areas that are way to shallow to float through using a float tube.

jedwuuba

Re: Float Tube Fishing

Post by jedwuuba » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:34 pm

Get a kayak...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cast. Catch. Release. Repeat.

mwinkels

Post by mwinkels » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:21 pm

I remember seeing the original episode of Babe Winkelman fishing for sturgeon from one after that had to have one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwnXpkyRsFM

I have one and really enjoy it.

Make sure you have some type of safety string/strap for fins. I will never forget the guy that was trying to get off the lake with only one fin! I tied a safety strap to mine asap.

Another tip is walk to where you wan to fish then hop in. Speed and float tube do not go together!

WhiteGlovedHowdy

Post by WhiteGlovedHowdy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:52 am

I spend a great deal of time fishing from a float tube in the summer on local lakes. It is a blast. Never used it in streams because it is hard to manage the shallow spots. A big largemouth jumping at eye level is a great time. My tip is to get real form fitting swim fins from a scuba store. They stay on and work much better than the type sold with float tubes. If you walk into the water backwards you lesson your chance of a spill. Have fun.

Wendy Berrell

Post by Wendy Berrell » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:58 am

Used to do it for LMB up around whiteglove's lakes. A lot of fun, as noted. You could consider buying the "power" fins (?) that are more expensive but from all I hear, well worth the money.

I have a one man pontoon that is pretty good on rivers thus far, although I haven't used it much. I sold my float tube when I left Rice County MN (our "lake region" that pulls folks up from Iowa).

It will also keep you honest re your casting plane.

SubtleSip

Post by SubtleSip » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. If I could have convinced my wife to let me buy a pontoon, I would have done that in a heart beat 8-) I am excited to get out in the float tube and explore some new ponds here. Now it's a waiting game until it warms up.
"The search for fish is really a search for a grail: the place of perfect companionship and flawless contentment."