Good Weather For The Weekend

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
brntrout

Good Weather For The Weekend

Post by brntrout » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:37 am

Looks like we are going to get a break in the weather starting on Friday and going through at least Sunday with highs around 30 to 35. It would be nice to hear a fishing report if people get out this weekend? I have family matters I have to deal with so I won't be getting out unfortunately.

Hope you folks have a great weekend.

jedwuuba

Post by jedwuuba » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:44 pm

If all goes as planned, I think I will be out Fri-Wed or Fri-Sun at the least. I'll get some reports up ASAP. Going to hit a bunch of places that hopefully didn't freeze up. My guess is there will be quite a bit of hard water though.
Cast. Catch. Release. Repeat.

jrs

Post by jrs » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:18 pm

I'm planning to get out sometime soon as well. I have heard that many streams are iced over. The DNR site, for example, says: "Most streams are frozen over with very little if any access to open water to fish." (http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisher ... tions.html). I don't recall ever having that problem, but then it's been colder than it has been in 15-20 years. Maybe I need to bring an ice spud?

TFO5wt

Post by TFO5wt » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:47 pm

I'm planning on heading south of 90 Sunday. I'm hoping the warmer temps Friday and Saturday will open up some of the streams.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

stpaulfly

Re: Good Weather For The Weekend

Post by stpaulfly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:40 pm

Heading down for the weekend on Saturday morning....I guess I will find out when I get there. Maybe I shouldn't set my hopes too high. If anything it will be a good winter walk.

jedwuuba

Post by jedwuuba » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:59 pm

I have a bad feeling that I will be doing more searching than fishing. Heading out in the morning. Pretty sure I'm going to check out some stuff north of 90. If I find fishable water, I will venture south this weekend.
Cast. Catch. Release. Repeat.

brntrout

Post by brntrout » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:39 am

Best chance to find fish-able water is probably going to be streams less than 4 miles in length or the headwaters area's of medium sized streams. The larger streams will most likely be 90% iced over. Other options are where fair sized springs flow into larger bodies of water.

GOOD LUCK!

Wendy Berrell

Re: Good Weather For The Weekend

Post by Wendy Berrell » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:35 pm

I wimped out a week ago - last Friday. The wind was too much. Stayed home and did projects, jobs, etc. including restocking basic nymph inventory. Now ready to head out this weekend. My guess is that I'll run into folks, given the weather pattern keeping everyone in... we'll all surge to the streams Sat and Sun.

Tom - would you also add to your list stream reaches that are nice and tight? Good flow in narrow channel, even if somewhat larger stream, probably begets less ice cover.

TFO5wt

Post by TFO5wt » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:45 pm

Just talked to a buddy who got out north of 90 for a quick afternoon hour long session. He found fishable water and went 3 for 5. Things are looking, or should I say, opening up.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

mwinkels

Post by mwinkels » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:39 pm

Wendy are those just different variations of PT?