Curious about Teton reels, and ready to put line to water

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
Jeb

Curious about Teton reels, and ready to put line to water

Post by Jeb » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:34 pm

After a solid Scotch/tying session with buddies this weekend, I'm ready to hit the streams with some workable PTs and scuds. In my quest to take my angling more seriously each year, I'm trying to commit to fishing only my flies this year without having to run in for store-bought ones at the last minute.

Although I've got everything I need, and more, to have beautiful trout outings for years to come, the thought of buying a new reel keeps nagging at me. I feel kind of lousy putting my brand new SA mastery DT line on my mediocre Okuma Sierra. There is nothing wrong with this reel and I don't know that I've ever had a fish on the drag. But alas, I still would like to put some American-made bling on my reel seat.

I've been looking at the Teton Classic pretty seriously, but I'm curious: what are people's experience with this reel? And if anyone perchance has one that they're looking to get rid of in mint condition, I'd be interested.

Randy
Site Admin

Post by Randy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:06 pm

I've never fished a Teton reel, but the price for the Teton Classic at Cabela's looks like a good deal for a nice, American-made reel.

Jeb

Post by Jeb » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:12 pm

What I've found out is that Teton, originally based near my homeland in the foothills of the Sierras, went out of business in 2008. Another company "Teton USA" took over the company and the reels are no longer made there. The Teton Classic gets great reviews, but it's not a true Teton. Unfortunately I lost the bidding war for a true Teton today, which was given to the seller by the original owner of Teton Reels Inc. and included a signed business card. Oh well. The sentimentality would have been nice but, after all, it was a 7-year-old click and pawl reel. Perhaps I'll focus on fly-tying mastery to start with, to justify a nice reel down the road.

Randy
Site Admin

Re:

Post by Randy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:47 pm

Jeb wrote:Perhaps I'll focus on fly-tying mastery to start with, to justify a nice reel down the road.
No need to get all crazy now. You may want a nice reel earlier than that.

Jeb

Post by Jeb » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:00 am

The first time I lose a fish on my Okuma's drag, I'll buy a new reel. That's a much cheaper resolve than if I lose a fish to a fly, and just tie another one.

ted4887

Post by ted4887 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:46 am

FWIW - I've been fairly pleased with my Okuma SLV's drag system. I've never had a trout spool me, but I have had carp do it. And those fish, more than almost anything that swims in freshwater, will test your drag. For a $40 reel, it's smooth and has plenty of stopping power.

Saying that, it doesn't come close to some of the higher dollar Orvis and Hardy reels that I have. Another reel series to take a look at is Allen Fly Fishing's Trout II series. They are some seriously sharp looking reels. I've had my hands on a few different models of theirs, and have very impressed with quality and look.

brntrout

Re: Curious about Teton reels, and ready to put line to wate

Post by brntrout » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:36 pm

A couple of other very nice reels for the money are: 1.)the Nautilus FWX series Made IN The USA starting at $255.

2.) The Hardy Bros Ultra Lite series which starts at $169. This reel is designed/engineered by Hardy's Bros but the reel is built for them in Korea. I have two of these reels they are very light weight, have great adjustable spring & pawl drag system, are well made (tight tolerances) and have a mid to large sized arbor for getting line back on the reel fast.

The deal is there are a TON of excellent fly reels out there that are reasonably priced ($130 to $260) that will compete with fly reels costing $350 to $500 dollars. JUST SAYING!