HATCHES

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
brntrout

HATCHES

Post by brntrout »

We should start seeing Light Hendricksons soon, and March Browns and Yellow Sallies should not be far behind. LH's should start this coming week and March Browns and Yellow Sallies maybe later in the week? If you fish streams that still have good hatches of these invertebrates good to excellent fishing can be had.

Of course, there are other inverts species that can provide good fishing this time of year, but many of these hatches are limited in their range and are not region wide. With the rain we are now receiving different worm imitations should be killer and terrestrial imitations like black beetles and inch worms should start kicking in as well. Usually the inch worm hatch is closer to June 1st but this year it may be earlier!

Hope this basic info gives a few of you an idea what's ahead for hatches.

GOOD LUCK!

Blackdog1101

Re: HATCHES

Post by Blackdog1101 »

I fished for a bit yesterday near Lanesboro. I did pretty well with a tan & red San Juan worm until the lightning chased me off the stream.

Mt Dew Dynasty

Post by Mt Dew Dynasty »

Definitely some helpful info for me, much appreciated. If I make it out tomorrow I’ll for sure have all of that in mind.

High Stick

Post by High Stick »

I fished Sunday PM south of 90. Water's in good shape. Two different sizes of yellow mayflies (could very well be Light Hendricksons), no March Browns, several sizes of tan caddis, and a few remnants of crane flies.

Blackdog1101

Post by Blackdog1101 »

I fished a stream north of 90 today, did well with a gray BH caddis pupa. Caught a solid 18”er. Used my 8’ Divine bamboo rod, which is over 90 years old. Pretty cool.

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

My bug ID isn't great. I fished with a buddy on a trout river N. of 90 the other day. I saw a large mayfly that was a cream color, a small dark colored mayfly, and a medium sized brown mayfly. It was prob. in that 1 pm time frame when they started coming off of the water.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

Mt Dew Dynasty

Post by Mt Dew Dynasty »

Fished south of I-90 yesterday and didn't see much for bugs coming off the water, but there was sporadic rising throughout the day. I tried fishing a PT nymph under a beetle pattern but the black beetle was dang near impossible to track on a dead drift so I just swung it through a few runs and caught a handful of browns feeling for the tug on the nymph. Later I switched to a purple chubby Chernobyl under a PT nymph. They were really getting after the nymph all day until 7:00 pm. Fish were flashing at the chubby but weren't really taking it. I only caught two fish on it all day, but one was a 17-19"ish brown (eyeballed it on my arm and then measured my arm when I got home). Turned out to be a really nice day.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

S.T.Fanatic wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:04 am
My bug ID isn't great. I fished with a buddy on a trout river N. of 90 the other day. I saw a large mayfly that was a cream color, a small dark colored mayfly, and a medium sized brown mayfly. It was prob. in that 1 pm time frame when they started coming off of the water.
"I'm guessing" the large mayfly was probably a March Brown and the others probably Lt. Hendricksons and maybe the smaller darker colored fly was one of the baetis species. Usually on most streams Lt. Hendrcksons start emerging in the time frame we are now in and March Browns can overlap the LH hatch in certain years, especially the last 3 or 4 years! There are many different baetis species which can come off at different times of the fishing season and some have multi broods in one years.