5/11 and 5/12 Fishing Report

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
jrs

5/11 and 5/12 Fishing Report

Post by jrs »

Fished Monday and Tuesday.

Was still pretty cold in the morning of both days. Didn't take stream temps, but was quite cold when I stuck my arm elbow deep to dislodge snagged nymphs on Monday morning. Had me thinking about the cold front discussion thread as bugs were quite sparse and fishing was a little slow. Streams were clear, especially south of I-90.

Monday morning I nymph fished a stream north of I-90. Got several better than average sized fish right away, but then things slowed down a bit. Most of the fish I took were in deep riffles or runs and taking a variety of nymphs. This particular stream had a light stain and a squirmy worm accounted for several better than average fish. Pink Squirrel, #16 yellow thorax PT, and a #14 brown / yellow caddis pupa also accounted for fish. In the afternoon I moved to another stream north of I-90. I fished a dry dropper with a #14 tan caddis dry and #16 thread frenchie dropper. I got a few more fish, mostly on the dropper, including a really fat, heavy 18" brown.

Tuesday we went south of I-90 hoping that it would be slightly warmer and get some caddis hatching. We visisted 4 different reaches of 2 different streams. All were very clear (too clear IMO). Not many bugs about, mostly midges in the morning, and a few caddis in the afternoon and not many rising fish. We picked up some fish nymphing in the morning, mostly in deeper riffles and runs, and with small droppers trailed behind caddis dry flies in the afternoon.

Seems like we're kind of between hatches withe grey caddis done and tan caddis, light hendricksons, and cranes starting slowly. The cold weather probably is slowing down the hatches and the clear water, especially south of I-90, is making the fishing more difficult. Some rain and warmth in the coming days should help the fishing pick up.

Wendy Berrell

Re: 5/11 and 5/12 Fishing Report

Post by Wendy Berrell »

Good report JRS. My neighbor was south of 90 on 5/12 and he stopped counting at 50, all on dry flies. I was a little jealous, but also valued the time I spent guiding my kids in their warmwater fishing endeavors. Older kid got a giant smallie to hand. Younger kid speared a sucker.

I'm hoping to hit it hard Monday and Tuesday next week. Of interest is the rain event coming Saturday night. Looks like 1+ inches total, into Sunday. My hope and feeling is that the intensity will not be great enough to blow out the streams. We need rain and I'm thinking the land will suck it up.

High Stick

Post by High Stick »

I would argue that based upon what I have seen the last week to ten days, there are a few streams that could use some flushing as their slime/algae growth is significant due to lack of water (and high concentrations of nitrates). We need some substantial rain, IMO.

No dries yesterday, but sight fishing with nymphs in clean water was still a ball.

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

High Stick wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:21 am
I would argue that based upon what I have seen the last week to ten days, there are a few streams that could use some flushing as their slime/algae growth is significant due to lack of water (and high concentrations of nitrates). We need some substantial rain, IMO.

No dries yesterday, but sight fishing with nymphs in clean water was still a ball.
In situations like this Is when I target the larger more marginal streams. And often do quite well I may add.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

TFO5wt

Post by TFO5wt »

I fished Thursday through Saturday with my dog south of 90, different reaches of the same system. Rain is definitely needed. That said, fishing was very good all three days. Thursday afternoon I had was able to fish tan caddis dries to rising fish in a couple pools/runs. Other than that, it was a dry dropper game with nymphs taking the majority of the fish. Here and there I was able to stick one on a dry. A good few days that were much needed with all that's going on in the world now.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

the_trout_hunter

Post by the_trout_hunter »

When running a dry dropper rig how far do you guys typically run the nymph below the dry? Does it vary on the hole you’re fishing or do you like a certain length?

Randy
Site Admin

Post by Randy »

the_trout_hunter wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:42 am
When running a dry dropper rig how far do you guys typically run the nymph below the dry? Does it vary on the hole you’re fishing or do you like a certain length?
Personally, it varies depending on the water and purpose. Sometimes the dry I fish is just a bobber that I hope catches a fish (hopper, beetle, stimulator) and sometimes hatch specific. If there is an active hatch of caddis (or other) I tend to keep the dropper shorter since I could be in riffles more often.

jrs

Post by jrs »

the_trout_hunter wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:42 am
I usually start with 2'-3' tippet which gets my dropper down 1'-2' depending on current, drift length etc. I'll adjust that a bit depending on stream conditions and where the fish are holding.

I also use an unweighted or lightly weighted dropper at times. This is mostly in hatch situations with an emerger fished in the film behind a dry. In this case, I'll keep my dropper tippet 12"-18".

TFO5wt

Post by TFO5wt »

Mostly a foot to 3 1/2 for me depending on situations.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

High Stick wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:21 am

Without having a significant spring runoff on most streams we could use a a good flush for sure. This is the most algae and sediment I've seen in SE MN streams in 20 years! Hopefully, we can get 3 to 4 inch event in the near future that would take care of the problem.