Creek Access and Easements [SE MN]

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
hunn360

Creek Access and Easements [SE MN]

Post by hunn360 »

Hello MN Trout Forum,

I am pretty new to trout fishing, only ever caught small brook trout out of a pond/stream with nightcrawlers but looking to find some trout in streams this spring/summer. Right now I use a spinning setup with 1/16 oz and 1/8 oz rooster tails and spinners.

Looking to get down to SE Minnesota but I have never fished this area before, nor have I fished on an easement. From what I understand the land is still private property in these locations except for fishing purposes within like 100' of the creek's center. Am I able to just pull over on the road and put on my waders and walk up the stream a bit in these areas?

I am not against hard to reach places (probably prefer them) so if anyone has suggestions of where some good easement areas are (I've been looking at Trout Run, and Pickwick) I'd appreciate any information.

Thanks

jrs

Re: Creek Access and Easements [SE MN]

Post by jrs »

I think the MN DNR has done a wonderful job of securing angling easements on our streams.

Generally, you can enter an eased stream at a public bridge. It's basically a corridor, generally 50' either side of the center of the stream, that you can use to access the stream for fishing (other activities are not allowed). Easements are generally marked with small rectangular tan signs. You'll also see stiles if there is fence.

The main points to keep in mind: park safely and out of the way (eg, don't block field access), stay in the stream corridor and don't cut across land, and leave the dog at home.

We also have a fair amount of public land -- state parks, WMAs, state forests -- that is also accessible for fishing.

Check out the stream maps at https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/tro ... _maps.html. This is also available as a printed booklet, but the most recent easements are on-line. Or try the Troutroutes app for access via your mobile phone.

hunn360

Post by hunn360 »

Thank you, living north of the Twin Cities I don't usually see many easements so I just wanted to confirm how they worked. I fish a decent amount of WMA's and state/public land so I am aware enough of parking out of the way, not bringing dogs, etc.

I have been looking at those stream maps multiple times a week trying to pick out a creek to check out!

Itching to get fishings!

High Stick

Post by High Stick »

I will say that if you do not know what an easement sign looks like, you may have difficulty in locating this deck of cards sized tan sign. They were originally tan signs with maroon lettering, but most of the lettering has faded by now, so now it looks very obscure.

If you can read the basic map that was referenced above and cross section that with what road you are on, you will be able to get on eased water.

hunn360

Post by hunn360 »

I feel confident I will be able to determine my location on an easement. I am guessing you are referring to signs that look like this? https://www.google.com/search?q=easemen ... L5qlvtdhCM:

High Stick

Post by High Stick »

Yep. They weren't designed to jump out at you, that's for sure.

TFO5wt

Post by TFO5wt »

You can bring dogs on State Forest land and WMAs. If you get landowner permission, they're fine on easements.

A disclaimer, I now bring my dog fishing, but he's well trained and stays by me. I get why the dog rule on easements is in place, don't want dogs that owners can't control running wild, chasing livestock, etc. That said, how many landowners are going to have a problem with a dog that's by his owners side not causing problems? Thoughts? (I am also working on getting permission in spots I fish most frequently).
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

teach

Post by teach »

Most of the info has been covered pretty well above, but you can check this out too and scroll down to the Trout Stream Access section: https://www.flowstonefishing.com/fishing-resources
http://www.flowstonefishing.com - Spinning lures handcrafted right here in the Minnesota Driftless!

darklake

Post by darklake »

hunn360 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:04 pm
Right now I use a spinning setup with 1/16 oz and 1/8 oz rooster tails and spinners.
First thing you need to do is trade those out for Flowstone spinners. ;)

hunn360

Post by hunn360 »

TFO5wt wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 5:24 pm
That said, how many landowners are going to have a problem with a dog that's by his owners side not causing problems? Thoughts? (I am also working on getting permission in spots I fish most frequently).
I wouldn't imagine that would be a problem, however the majority of dog owners probably can't control their dog while fishing.