Lanesboro Dam Restoration In Progress

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
S.T.Fanatic

Re: Lanesboro Dam Restoration In Progress

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

My point is, with all of the sediment above the dam you really don't know what the gradient is and what/where the "actual bottom" is or the make up of it is like (on the Root) Being that there wasnt a project done below 16 on Dushee you really don't know what the actual bottom is like at the mouth either. I can only assume that pre dam the gradient was quite steep in the location of the dam. That alone makes for a good location to install one in the first place.

I am only assuming and unless one would dredge the reservoir or probe the stream bed it's only a guess even if an educated one by anyone else too.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

You do not need to know the exact stream depth in the reservoir at the mouth of Dushee Creek to understand its going to be deep enough that a head cut will develop and there will be a need for a gradient control structure once all the reservoir sediment is washed out of the reservoir area. As matter of fact they would have to do a temporary gradient control structure at mouth of Dushee once the reservoir is initially drawn down Then they would have to wait and see how much of the remaining sediment washes out of reservoir before they can say the gradient control structure is structurally sound enough, or whether the structure will need further enforcement/rock!

BTW there is an old DNR habitat project below Hwy 16 on Dushee Creek. Evidently its now overgrown with grass and the rock is no longer visible I know this for a fact I fished it a number of times just after it was completed years ago ( 1990's). Not assuming, they don't build dams in areas that are not full of rock/bedrock, if they did the dam(s) would wash out. Its a strong bet most of the area above the dam is just as rocky as the area below the dam.

Again, that would be proven after severe flooding eliminates ALL the excess sediment in the reservoir above the dam after its removal.

Really, I don;t know why we are even debating any of this as the dam is going to be around for a LONG TIME, since they are basically rebuilding a new dam structure up against the upstream face of the old dam!

High Stick

Post by High Stick »

Lanesboro is driven my consumerism. The more people that come to town, the more money that is spent there. Building a canoe route and shuttle from Preston to Lanesboro would be ideal.

That, and put a microbrew on Main St.: Root River Brewing. If Karst Brewing can pull it off (and they do), surely, Lanesboro could do the same.

And while we're at it, open a pub that serves bar food: burgers, fries, curds, and decent tap beer. The current "Pub" is a joke. Flatbread pizza is not what I'm looking for at the end of the day. Harmony has better food than downtown Lanesboro.

Thanks, end of rant.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Very curious, has anyone been down to check on the progress of the dam(n)project recently, and if so what's happening at the dam site and the river below?
Last edited by brntrout on Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

Don't quote me but I believe it is finished.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

IF it is done I'm guessing at some point Lanesboro will have some kind of big shin dig to celebrate the restoration of their "HISTORIC DAM? if it is done, COVID 19 probably put a damper on any planned celebration, I'm guessing! Even so I wouldn't be attending anyway!

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

I'd like to put together a "mostly peaceful protest" and bring the thing down but I'm to busy working and don't condone law braking.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

That discussion is probably best for the Fire Pit. As any response to your comment would be off topic instantly and be very heated pro and con for sure! ;)