Lanesboro Dam Restoration In Progress

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
Randy
Site Admin

Re: Lanesboro Dam Restoration In Progress

Post by Randy »

Blackdog1101 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:25 am
Randy wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:07 am
Welcome aboard. :)

Are you sure a dam is the only possible way to keep the town from being destroyed?
Ironman. Ironman can save the town. :lol:
Ha! dammit don't make me fight you about who the best avenger would be in this case. ;)

Randy
Site Admin

Post by Randy »

Flood mitigation could happen a number of different ways, perhaps some cheaper than dam restoration. With that said, none of us "dumbasses" could ever have enough sway to supersede the will of the people in this case. First and foremost, the dam is being restored because of the historic value, sentiment, nostalgia, etc. There's clearly a deep attachment to it.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/03/1 ... aA5VsHRjEI

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Qwerttdelta wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:11 am
Well considering it's holding back a volume of water greater than what the banks can carry in the residential area the downtown would likely survive since it's a good 30 feet higher
If the dam was removed it would be done in stages by slowly taking out the top section first, then the middle section, then bottom section which eventually lowers the water level in reservoir.They do not just knock the dam out and let it rip. If the dam was removed the stream level in the old reservoir area would drop down to a similar gradient that is like the stream area just upstream of the current impounded area. Overall the gradient would a little steeper but not severe. There would also be a need to build gradient control structures, one for Dushhee Creek and possibly one at the old dam site. In addition, in the old reservoir area the trees would need to be removed so the banks could be rip rapped sloped and seeded.

The cost of doing the river restoration and dam removal would be more than just fixing the dam. However, if the dam was removed it would surely improve the fishery and people could canoe the entire river without having to bypass the dam.

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

Qwerttdelta wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:11 am
Well considering it's holding back a volume of water greater than what the banks can carry in the residential area the downtown would likely survive since it's a good 30 feet higher
Nobody is saying that the dam should be blown up. (It's just stacked block after all) Can you tell me how deep the water is above the dam? I know how deep it likely is. Since you are obviously and expert on river function, can you please explain how the river would destroy the lower part of town?

This isnt an exact representation of the Lanesboro dam but it shows a big part of the reason dams are bad.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1249933811783172098

In this day and age there is no reason for dams like the one in Lanesboro to be kept. We aren't just picking on Lanesboro, there are many of them all over rural America that should go.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

I was typing while Tom was. I do however disagree with some of what Tom posted. With that said, my thought process is based of of the unknown (to me anyway) and some logical assumptions.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

If your referring to the gradient control structure comment. In the case of Dushhee Creek there would be a serious head cut at mouth of Dushhee Creek that would leave all the DNR habitat structures upstream out of the water probably all the way to the bridge downstream of the hatchery. There is no question there would be a need for a gradient control structure there! At the dam site its possible one might get by without a structure but I'm guessing there would be a need for one there also. Keep in mind gradient control structures can be made to look like a boulder run/riffle areas and still be designed to be canoed while still allowing easy fish passage.
Last edited by brntrout on Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Stick

Post by High Stick »

In the long run, canoeing from Preston to the Boro would be a huge draw, would it not?

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

High Stick wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:03 am
In the long run, canoeing from Preston to the Boro would be a huge draw, would it not?
I WOULD THINK!

I'm sure extra traffic in Lanesboro from increased canoeing probably isn't going to hurt the economy in Lanesboro. Mo' money, is Mo' money!

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

brntrout wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:40 am
If your referring to the gradient control structure comment. In the case of Dushhee Creek there would be a serious head cut at mouth of Dushhee Creek that would leave all the DNR habitat structures upstream out of the water probably all the way to the bridge downstream of the hatchery. There is no question there would be a need for a gradient control structure there! At the dam site its possible one might get by with out a structure but I'm guessing there would be need for one there also.. Keep in mind gradient control structures can be made to look like a boulder run/riffle area and still be designed to be canoed while still allowing easy fish passage.
Are you saying you know what the below ground/water geology is like in the area that you are referring to?

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

I'm saying when the dam was built it impounded the river upstream ( all dams do that its nothing new) because the river is impounded above the dam Dushee Creek on lower mile approx. was also impounded. That means if the dam was taken out there would be a noticeable water fall / head cut at mouth of Dushee Creek. Now days on Dushee Creek this is not very noticeable as substrates over a hundred fifty years have built up the stream bed so it looks normal but its not. Even back in the early 1990's when Lanesboo Fisheries did the habitat work ( Jim Wagner was the their H.i. crew leader) they complained about the lack of stream gradient on the lower portion of Dushee Creek because of the influence from the Dam reservoir. The reason they complained is every time they tried to install some kind of structure it backed the stream up even more. They eventually found away to over come the problem. I assume they made the stream slightly wider so it would hold a greater volume of water without rising stream levels.

MN DNR Eco Services was interested in restoring that portion of the river by removing the dam and they were working on that when Lanesboro people and Fillmore County Citizens put a stop to it because their wishes were to restore "their" Historic Scenic Dam. Anyway, there were discussions on what was needed to be done to restore the reach if the dam was removed. They did discuss the potential head cut problem on Dushee creek along with the "potential" for a gradient control structure at the dam site.

Even if the dam was removed, it would likely take several severe floods to flush out all excess sediment that has accumulated in the reservoir area over the last 150+ years before the stream would get down to its original stream bed elevation.