Wondering about stream conditions?

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
LaufenD

Wondering about stream conditions?

Post by LaufenD »

Wondering if anyone could give an update on stream conditions in the SE after the 6 + inches of snow this weekend. Asking for a friend!

S.T.Fanatic

Re: Wondering about stream conditions?

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

I havent seen any to give an update. With that being said, The frost is out of the ground and the sun has been melting the snow little by little. I would assume all of the streams are in great shape with the exception of them being on the cold side.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

I would agree with what STF said! I don't think there will be any serious runoff problems but I'm sure stream temperatures are very cold and any runoff even if its slight will just make streams colder for awhile.

I would bet angling for the General Opener will be on the slow side until stream temperatures recover. More than likely stream temps won't get back to where they need to be until Tuesday or Wednesday next week I'm guessing!

jrs

Post by jrs »

I was out today. North of I-90 the stream was very clear, fair amount of snow still on the ground and water was pretty cold, 40F. South of I-90, stream was also very clear, much less snow on ground, and stream was slightly warmer, 44F (this was also later in the day). Temp'ed a different stream a week ago at 50F, so I think stream temps have taken a sizable hit with the winter storm and not yet recovered.

We didn't see any significant hatch or rising fish. Nymph fishing was good to a bit slow depending on location.

JJ Trout

Post by JJ Trout »

Went out around 530 on a popular stream north of I90 until dark today. Did not see any one else out. Had one of my better days of the season and first fish was a season best. Caught everything on dark Pt nymph with black bead and a regular Pt with brass bead. Tried dark hendrickson and some soft hackle flies with no success. Streams slightly high but very clear considering the bit of run off. Fish seemed to shut down just before sunset.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

It should be interesting what happens for the General Opener with air temps forecast to reach upper 50's. If streams warm then fishing should be decent, if there is some slight runoff from snow melt cooling streams fishing won't be as good.

Right now, it looks like next week we should turn the corner with stream temps getting warm enough to trigger decent invert activity which should definitely improve fishing if it happens

jrs

Post by jrs »

Fished today with djflc, 2 streams north of i-90.

Stream we fished in the am, was 43F and very clear. No significant hatch. Nymph fishing was fair to a bit slow.

Stream we fished in the pm was also very clear but by mid afternoon was 51F (this same stream was 43F just a few days ago). A smattering of bugs on the water including baetis, little sister sedge, and grey caddis (brachcentrus?), but not enough to think about dry fly fishing. Nymph fishing was fair to a bit slow.

Was encouraged by the rebound in water temps, continued water clarity, and appearance of a few caddis.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

JRS,

Very Interesting development. I got an email late this afternoon from a friend who fished a stream in Winona County and he also ran into a light caddis hatch that started at 1;30 and ran till about 2;30 when it quit. I thought the cold weather might have set back the spring caddis hatch but it appears the nymphs matured ahead of schedule over winter because of the above average warm winter. If so, that means the spring caddis are ready to hatch in mass as soon as streams hit the mid 50's. Apparently with warmer weather coming that could be any time now. You never know its suppose to hit 60 degrees tomorrow. That may mean the main hatch will occur within the coming week?

These fishing reports and the weather warming might be enough to force me to go fishing tomorrow to find out!

LaufenD

Post by LaufenD »

Fished So of I-90 for most of the day. Morning was active with Red/Black BH zebra Midge. Got about a dozen. Then moved closer to "Trout Capital of Minnesota" in the afternoon and ran into an incredible... and I mean INCREDIBLE Caddis hatch. Lasted from 12:30 till about 2:00 bugs all over the banks and the water... and my waders. Of course the trout (brown and rainbow) gorged on them. Fished a 40 yard corridor and brought well over 20 fish to my hand on #18 tan and black EH caddis. LDR'd another dozen. Could be the best afternoon of hatch that I've seen. Didn't even bother with water temp. But, it was so nice! all trout between 11 and 15 inches. Sweet fun on a 2 wt. As I walked back to the car at 3:00 ... the 40 yard corridor was SILENT. No trace of bugs or fish on the water. Hmmmmm. What say you brntrout?

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

I say, caddis time has arrived!

The good news its earlier than normal, which is great because that means the hatch(es) will likely be spread out and last longer. When the caddis emerge closer to May 1st hatches are shorter in duration(days) and more intense. When that happens trout gorge themselves and feeding is over in less than hour and so is the fishing.

Normall, ( not sure what that means anymore) on average spring caddis commence emergence around April 23 to 25Th on most SE MN streams and a bit earlier towards the Iowa boarder by 2 to 4 days.

Its suppose to be warmer today than yesterday so stream temperatures might get right for caddis hatch activity!

ADDED: even though its going to be relatively warm today windy conditions today slow down hatch activity. Another we will see deals?

And with next week looking good for weather it appears we "might" have an excellent week of caddis fishing. BTW it really looks especially good for late next week temperature wise!

Like I said, this is pretty early for caddis hatch activity compared to normal.

I'll be out on a popular stream today. I'll report later today when I get home.