Nice day

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
DAFLC

Nice day

Post by DAFLC »

On 02-31 Fished a larger stream N of 90 where I saw 25 fish rising in a tail out. Suspecting midges I decided to give it a try. Couldn't see what they were sipping and no flies flying around so I THREW ALL MY MIDGE patterns at them. Caught 3 on 20 dry, tried some 22 pupa, 20 emerger but that was frustrating, as midges often are to me. So I waded out to see what they were eating. A size 24 emerging midge. not for me.
Then on to a much smaller stream S of 90 and found browns rising to a baetis hatch. I hoped I had not wasted too much time on midges . Not to worry they kept rising until 5:30 when I had to leave to get home and fix walleye for supper. The ticket was 18 parachute Adams.Was fortunate to net 22 browns from 9-16". There are lots of fisherpersons out with so many working at home or laid off, but all the stars lined up for me as no one else was there. Dry fly success , for me at least, has really gone down the tubes in the last 20 years in spite off lots of trouts so this was a treat.

brntrout

Re: Nice day

Post by brntrout »

Its good to hear there are plenty of baetis still left to provide decent dry fly fishing. They started early this year on most streams. It was starting to look like the end of the early baetis species hatch, but, I guess not! :)

As I've said before, there hasn't been any adverse stream conditions to mess up hatches so far. That means hatches should be good to excellent as long as we have no severe flooding or dirty water happening at the wrong time.

When fishing midge hatches it can be tough as they are micro sized compared to other invert species. If one wants to catch the maximum number of trout on midges consistently you need to know their correct size, color, shape, the life cycle stage the trout are taking them at, and the stream level trout are feeding on them. On top of that you need to know if there taking them dead drift, actively emerging/rising to the surface, or skating on the surface laying eggs If you don't have all the correct information you may catch some trout on the wrong midge patterns, but if you have everything figured out correctly you will be more successful by far!

With the warm weather ( above normal) moving in for the coming week or so, fishing should get even better, and again, I would be on the look out for many different invert species emerging a week or two early, especially Dark Hendrickson's! :)

I might have to get out fishing myself. I've been remodeling my basement so I haven't been out. :(

Wendy Berrell

Post by Wendy Berrell »

Have had dramatic success fishing a generic soft hackle #16 to fish eating midges. They eat the hell out of it and both presentations work: upstream (add a little gink as needed) or downstream swing.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Wendy Berrell wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:51 am
Have had dramatic success fishing a generic soft hackle #16 to fish eating midges. They eat the hell out of it and both presentations work: upstream (add a little gink as needed) or downstream swing.
I'm guessing they are taking your SH for emerging baetis which would be closer to a size 16. Whatever the reason they are taking it, you are having success, can't beat that! ;)

High Stick

Post by High Stick »

Good baetis yesterday from 1:30 until I left. Fished a dry with an emerger trailer. Both took each pattern readily.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

It appears there are plenty of early baetis this spring.. With weather and stream conditions improving dramatically I would not be surprised if many SE MN streams experience multiple species emerging at the same time by the end of next week maybe earlier. On certain streams anglers could see baetis, Dark Hendrickson's and possibly the usual 3 spring caddis species, but especially grey caddis.

Towards the Iowa boarder stream habitat ((geology) is slightly different so that area has a few different caddis species other than the three caddis species most anglers see most often in the rest of SE MN. So angler venturing that way might want too be aware of that fact!

At any rate it appears trout fishing is cranking up!

Nice report Dave. BTW were you south or north of I-90?

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

Saw some caddis N of 90 yesterday on non designated
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

jrs

Post by jrs »

brntrout wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:18 am
It appears there are plenty of early baetis this spring.. With weather and stream conditions improving dramatically I would not be surprised if many SE MN streams experience multiple species emerging at the same time by the end of next week maybe earlier. On certain streams anglers could see baetis, Dark Hendrickson's and possibly the usual 3 spring caddis species, but especially grey caddis.

Towards the Iowa boarder stream habitat ((geology) is slightly different so that area has a few different caddis species other than the three caddis species most anglers see most often in the rest of SE MN. So angler venturing that way might want too be aware of that fact!

At any rate it appears trout fishing is cranking up!

Nice report Dave. BTW were you south or north of I-90?
And when should I expect the "worm hatch" ? ;-)

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

jrs wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:09 am
And when should I expect the "worm hatch" ?
Believe it or not I was wondering about that myself. The frost is mostly out but not totally, so I would say the next warm rain when its warm enough to take the remaining frost out..

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

brntrout wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:47 am
jrs wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:09 am
And when should I expect the "worm hatch" ?
Believe it or not I was wondering about that myself. The frost is mostly out but not totally, so I would say the next warm rain when its warm enough to take the remaining frost out..
I caught fish yesterday that all had a big ball in there bellies. No idea what since we arent able to keep them yet but a solid guess would be crane fly larva or worms.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold