Stream Conditions

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
brntrout

Stream Conditions

Post by brntrout »

I just checked out 6 different trout streams today, 3 north of I-90 and 3 south. All streams were dirty and stream levels varied from 3 or 4 inches high to a few feet high. I did not check the Root River branches but I'm guessing they are high and dirty as well with even higher stream levels.

The good news is the spring runoff appears to be minor this year with no severe flooding. If nothing changes the current minor runoff situation that should mean invert hatches and trout year classes should be outstanding this year. WE WILL SEE?

darklake

Re: Stream Conditions

Post by darklake »

Is there much snow left to melt in the SE?

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

There is under 4 inches in most places and the ground is bare in a lot of areas. Most of the snow is on shaded hill sides. Lets put it this way, if we do not receive anymore significant snow fall, stream levels from runoff will be the least they've been in years. With the freeze thaw temperatures we've been getting and the fact the frost is not very deep, runoff has been minimal at worst! I would think "IF" the long range weather predictions hold true spring trout fishing in SE MN should be the best its been in years. A lot of streams have up to 5 year classes of trout in a row in them, so there is no shortage of trout. Of course not every year class was super abundant but most were average or better!

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

I forgot too mention, In SE MN some headwaters of mid size streams and smaller streams ( under 4 miles in length) may be fish-able in just a few days, if not sooner. The frost must be partly out as I don't see snow melt runoff water pooling up in areas it normally does this time of year? That is good news as streams may settle down and be fish-able sooner instead of later. I would bet many streams of different sizes ( probably not large ones) will be in decent fish-able condition by the weekend if the weather does not change.

jrs

Post by jrs »

We drove by several streams that were high and muddy today. However, we ended finding a small stream that was plenty clear and fished well. Water was a little cold, about 43F, and lightly stained. No significant hatch, but fish were aggressively taking bright scuds and, to a lesser degree, baetis nymphs. Lots of fish up in n the runs and even riffles in more of spring time feeding lies.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Fortunately we are getting the perfect snow melt runoff. Thawing during the day with below freezing temperatures at night. That is good news for trout, invertebrates and bank erosion problems being reduced because of minimal spring runoff. The current weather forecast the next few days with sunny conditions might just raise stream temps enough to allow baetis emergence on certain smaller streams. Toward the weekend its suppose to cool down into the 30's which is good for finishing off the snow melt runoff but not so good for baetis hatches. The following week we are back up into the 40's again which should improve angling and most stream should be in decent shape by then!

dpnoll

Post by dpnoll »

Went out today with a friend and fished from 10:30 until about 1:45 PM North of I90. The water was gin clear and 44/45 degrees. We landed 12 with 9 of them 13"+. Everything was near the bottom in deeper but moving water. They were all in excellent shape. We were both using nymphs, size 16. We did see some fish rising but they appeared to be small.

jrs

Post by jrs »

Drove by the lower end of several major streams north of I-90 today. All were dropping to near normal levels and marginally fishable, maybe 12" visibility.

We opted to not fish any of these but headed to an upstream reach in the same system. This stream reach was somewhat clearer, but still stained. Fished from around 1-3 pm. Some midges about, but no significant hatch or fish rising. Didn't take a water temp. We nymph fished with scuds, crane larva, and baetis nymphs. Nymphing was on the slow side, but we picked up about a dozen fish. Fish were in a little deeper, slower water and takes were on the subtle side (typical winter fishing).

Good to see stream conditions improving. Seems like we are over the worst at least until we get another snow or rain event.

On the bad side, I got careless with a snag and broke the tip of my 3 wt. Pretty sure the rod manufacturer will take care of it, but I'll be without my favorite all around rod for a bit.

WhiteGlovedHowdy

Post by WhiteGlovedHowdy »

Jrs I have a three Weight Scott rod you can use for as long as you need one. Having trouble with pm’s or would have used that. Let me know.

jrs

Post by jrs »

Thanks for the generous offer WhiteGloveHowdy. Just finished processing the repair thru the manufacturer web site and they are FedEx'ing a new tip section for a nominal warranty fee. So I should be back in business in a few days (and I do have a few other rods).