March 3 stream report

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
jrs

March 3 stream report

Post by jrs »

Was out south of I-90 today. We went south hoping to catch a baetis hatch, but found that runoff is starting and impacting some streams.

We visited three streams, more or less from south to north, which ranged from
dirty and unfishable to
stained and cold (41F) to
clear and normal (46F)

Didn't find that baetis hatch we were looking for, but we fished two streams and caught fish on crane larva, scuds, and baetis nymphs We had better success on the warmer, clearer stream (and I suspect we may have arrived too late and missed a baetis hatch).

Given the forecast and what we saw today, I suspect stream conditions are going to be in flux for a few days.

dpnoll

Re: March 3 stream report

Post by dpnoll »

Went out to a stream north of I 90 yesterday and fished from 10:30 -12:30. Water was 43 deg and gin clear. Landed 4 nice brook trout. All 4 came out from under grass as my nymph floated by.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Checked out 3 streams yesterday to and from a friends house. One was very fish-able, another slightly stained and the other gin clear. There should fish-able water until Saturday sometime when the snow ripens and full scale runoff kicks in.

Starting this weekend our annual spring runoff will commence and end sometime late next week if the weather predictions hold. Count on streams being dirty for awhile.

dpnoll

Post by dpnoll »

I plan on having a fly in the water by 8 AM tomorrow.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

At "present" the weather forecast is almost perfect for minimizing snow melt runoff. Unless the weather changes the heavy duty runoff ( which won't be bad this year)will happen late Saturday into Tuesday sometime.

The good news, we are likely to have another good trout year class and if no severe flooding happens in the next 2 months fishing the remaining invert hatches should be good to excellent! ;)

David, let us know how you did Saturday?