Perfect Weather for Winter Angling

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
brntrout

Re: Perfect Weather for Winter Angling

Post by brntrout »

DAFLC wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:52 am
You were right on Fished a southern smallish stream and had a robust baetis hatch for a couple hours starting around two. 8-10” fish took an 18 dry with the hackle trimmed off on the bottom. Still going when I left. Good fishing is coming!
Welcome to the board.

"Many" fishermen on this board are very experienced trout anglers,.If you're looking for accurate information on trout fishing/fly fishing you came to the right spot. That is especially true of information on SE MN Invertebrate hatches. ;)

BTW don't be afraid to ask questions!

TIGHT LINES!

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Should be a perfect weekend for winter fishing with a good chance of decent midge and baetis hatches. If nothing else nymph fishing should be good if you're using the right nymph patterns. Runoff shouldn't be a problem until Sunday if even then. :)

LaufenD

Post by LaufenD »

March 1, North of 90, Lovely day. Beautiful day in the park. And good fish too, Green zebra midge 20" below a Stimulator. What a great way to spend a Sunday morning. Very quiet on the stream. Water was Gin Clear.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Perfect stream/weather conditions will persist through this coming Saturday. Sunday looks to be a different story with a predicted high in the low to mid 50's. That along with a low of 40 Saturday night means we will get runoff that will raise water levels and dirty up streams on Sunday. Based on the monthly weather predictions it will be warm for the next 10 days or so which means the annual spring runoff will kick in at some point and streams will be high and dirty for quite sometime. If you're planning to fish I would get out this week or you might be waiting along time to get out again!

Randy
Site Admin

Post by Randy »

Runoff seemed to have kicked in quickly last night. Nice to get rid of a lot of snow... anyone get out this weekend?

dpnoll

Post by dpnoll »

I got out early Saturday to beat the melt. The wind and low sun made it tough in some places. I picked a stream where I thought the wind wouldn't be too bad. I was wrong. I did land 2 nice browns and a gorgeous brookie. The brookies this winter have been absolutely gorgeous. The water temps were around 45 deg. I drove by the same stream yesterday around 2:30 and it was still very clear and that spot was near its' terminus. Might get out for a bit Wed.