Perfect Weather for Winter Angling

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
brntrout

Perfect Weather for Winter Angling

Post by brntrout »

The next 3 or 4 days should be perfect for winter angling.

I wouldn't be surprised on some ( under 4 miles) smaller spring creeks anglers could run into an early Baetis hatch.

Anglers could find winter caddis hatch on certain streams too! There isn't many SE MN streams that have decent winter caddis hatches but we do have some. I've found them on smaller spring creeks East of Lanesboro. Usually early caddis hatches only last a few days tops, but if you hit it right decent dry fly fishing can be had!

Of course, midges should still be going strong, and Tiny Winter Black Stoneflies may still be emerging but its starting to get a little late for that hatch.

GOOD LUCK FISHING!

dpnoll

Re: Perfect Weather for Winter Angling

Post by dpnoll »

Meeting a couple of friends in Iowa today.

jrs

Post by jrs »

I got out with jay92 yesterday.

Very nice weather -- nice to not deal with gloves or iced guides. Stream was very clear and there was lots of angler traffic.

Quite a few midges around the water, but we didn't see any pods of consistent risers and didn't do any dry fly fishing. There seemed to be the usual black / gray midges as well as a slightly larger light olive midge.

We nymph fished. I was using an orange scud and a light olive midge larva. We caught quite a few fish, but it was maybe a tad slower than expected. Fish were still bunched up in deeper, somewhat slower pools and runs. The fish on this stream, mostly browns with some rainbows, were definitely a bit bigger than average -- lots of 12" to 15.5" fish.

TFO5wt

Post by TFO5wt »

I got out yesterday as well. Was on the stream earlier than needed but wanted to make the most of my time before the mid afternoon melt shut things down (which it did). Started with streamers stripped slowly. Had some swipes and landed a couple. Once the sun peaked over the valley fishing really picked up. Any midge nymph or emerger took fish. I didn’t cover as much water as I planned due to hungry fish. Didn’t see another angler all day.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

I sat in a gym all weekend. Would have been nice to be out there for sure. lots of 12-15.5" fish would be pretty nice about now.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

High Stick

Post by High Stick »

I was out early Sunday until noon. Midges really picked up around 10:00. I fooled a few on top with a midge adult but most of my trout were caught by way of nymphs. Water was clean and typically on the low side considering it is February. Drove by a few streams that still had remnants of significant shelf ice; others had none at all. Saw one car at an access, and that was it.

dpnoll

Post by dpnoll »

Yeah, lots of Iowa, Mn and Wisc plates fishing Northern Iowa on Sunday but we were able to find some open access points. The takes were so light as to be almost unnoticeable and everything we caught was on nymphs and in moving water.

jrs

Post by jrs »

Fished again today, but with DAFLC. Nice weather again although it seemed to get windy and colder in mid afternoon. Water was 42F, very clear and a bit low.

A tad on the slow side again today. There were quite a few midges about, a few stones, and at least one baetis dun. A few sporadic risers, but not enough to consider fishing on top. We nymph fished with scuds, midge larva, and baetis nymphs. Caught some fish, but not quite as many as I expected. Most of the fish were caught by fishing "low and slow" in mid pool / run areas and takes were pretty subtle.
Last edited by jrs on Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrs

Post by jrs »

Apparently there was more than one baetis dun. My buddy reports that after I left (about 3pm): " ... kept walking upstream where you were going to go. The next riffle hada big hatch of baetis going but picky of course. Stuck six 8-10" fish". Kind of surprised as I took a temp earlier in the day of 41.5F which seemed too cold, but my buddy is reliable.

DAFLC

Post by DAFLC »

You were right on Fished a southern smallish stream and had a robust baetis hatch for a couple hours starting around two. 8-10” fish took an 18 dry with the hackle trimmed off on the bottom. Still going when I left. Good fishing is coming!