Lead

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
High Stick

Lead

Post by High Stick »

Curious how many guys are fully lead free when they trout fish.

https://www.bluestemprairie.com/blueste ... nding.html

jay92

Re: Lead

Post by jay92 »

I use tungsten beads and tacky weight on the leader. Still have some lead wire that I use as under wraps on some flies. Probably use a substitute when it runs out.

trouts

Post by trouts »

I have been lead free on my fishing equipment for a while now. Once I started using tungsten beads/coneheads I never went back to lead wraps to seat the bead. Lead free works just fine and it's an easy step in the right direction imo. I don't fish weighted flies very often, so that also made it easier to switch over to lead free alternatives.

Randy
Site Admin

Post by Randy »

Real good question. I think this thread is a good candidate for the main forum.

I'm not 100% there yet on fly fishing but will be shortly... just need to replace my lead wire with non-toxic for fly tying. I use tin shot for nymphing and/or tungsten putty which can be a bit of a pain in the ass sometimes but I'm okay with that.

For bird hunting, I went to Bismuth this season. I used to use prairie storm lead or federal premium lead and noticed the bbs were splitting apart in the pheasant breast. Not good. I've drank enough beer in my day to damage brain cells. No need to add lead to my diet. More importantly, lost birds are inevitable and leaving lead out there to be eaten by raptors and other animals is bad news.

For deer hunting, copper slugs are just as if not more effective than lead. Maybe the savage 220 makes all the difference for me but have had zero issues with knock-down power and at longer ranges than some lead slug popped into a converted 870 or mossberg 500.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

I guess, i use a little bit of everything when it comes to using weight to get flies down in trout feeding zones.

But I should try to make a better effort to be lead free.

BTW, I also own a Savage 220 slug gun. With the right ammo mine has shot 1 inch groups @ 100 yards which is better than many rifles. My eye sight isn't what it used be, so now days my groups are closer to 2 inch groups @ 100 yards. IMO the Savage bolt action slug guns are probably the best value in slug guns today.

Added: I did forget too mention shot gunning over water should be made mandatory for non lead shot gun shells.

jrs

Post by jrs »

For fly fishing/tying, I've pretty much been lead free for a while. For tying, I've used lead free wire for years and also brass beads and more recently tungsten beads. For fishing, I use tin shot and some times tungsten putty. (I actually carry two varieties of tungsten putty so I can mix / match weather conditions).

I do have one container of lead shot that I bought locally because the shop didn't have tin shot. I've also got a few streamers with lead barbell eyes and a partial pack of lead barbell eyes. I don't really use any of those anymore and should probably find a way to dispose of them.

I visited and fished YNP 30-some years ago and it was lead free even then which got me started. Kind of a pain to sort out leaded tackle and flies. Easier to just switch over.

Cutthroat

Post by Cutthroat »

I haven't taken the lead out of my tackle yet, but I almost never use split shot anyway. I moved over to copper bullets for deer hunting years ago. Work great.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Last year i did a lot of long rod tight line fishing, Euro fishing too some. I bring that up because i tied most of my nymph's patterns with heavy tungsten beads and colored wire bodies that I coat with Solarez UV resin. That combination of materials weights flies sufficiently to get them deep without additional weight. The thing I like about tying flies that way is you can tie the same pattern with smaller beads and in smaller hook sizes and be able to fish a variety of different depths without the need for additional weight. If you try to fish the larger heavier flies in shallow water they end up being too heavy, but if you go with the same pattern in a smaller size they work just right without hanging up immediately.