Fishing?

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
dpnoll

Fishing?

Post by dpnoll »

What? Nobody fishing?

Troutchaser

Re: Fishing?

Post by Troutchaser »

Cocooning...and tying flies...

dpnoll

Post by dpnoll »

I don't tie(10 thumbs) so I've been going down to Iowa. Taking my sister there Monday.

trouts

Post by trouts »

I most likely won't fish again until after the first of the new year. Don't like all the crowds from the limited options and want to let the fish spawn without being bothered. I'm tying and organizing/cleaning gear until more options open up. Will do some grouse hunting after the deer gun season ends.

Cutthroat

Post by Cutthroat »

Deer hunting.

High Stick

Post by High Stick »

Tying four-five days a week. Pheasants in Iowa on the weekends.

Will get out after the first of the year.

TFO5wt

Post by TFO5wt »

Grouse and lake runs for me. Now it’s vice time until 2020 rolls around.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

jrs

Post by jrs »

I was out Friday. Streams really seem like they've cooled off early this year. The stream I fished Friday was 39 degrees. Fish were holding in winter-like lies -- deeper, slower water. Fishing nymphs deep and detecting subtle strikes was key. I also fished a small trib stream which was 45 degrees and fish were somewhat more active on this stream.

Baetis seem to be over. But I did see a few small pods of rising fish around 1 pm. I believe these fish were rising to a sparse Midge hatch, but I really didn't see any bugs.

I don't fish over or wade through redds, but I do like to observe the redds from the bank. Spawning seemed to be mostly over -- lots of redds, but very few fish on them. There were more fish on redds in the smaller, warmer stream.