Stream Conditions

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
brntrout

Stream Conditions

Post by brntrout » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:26 pm

By chance did anyone get out fishing/checking streams today, just curious whether stream conditions are improving or not?

FlyFisherJoe

Re: Stream Conditions

Post by FlyFisherJoe » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:29 pm

Anyone been out lately? Looking to head south tomorrow after work but curious to know what stream conditions are before I commit to 2-3 hour drive.

Randy
Site Admin

Post by Randy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:48 pm

I got out this afternoon and had a stellar few hours on-stream. Was north of I-90 and checked out two different branches of the same system. Stopped by one of my favorite spots - it was running high and dirty but would have been great for streamer fishing or maybe nymphs. Looked elsewhere and ended up parking at what is usually a very busy branch and the water conditions were great. Only slightly stained, actually. There were some bugs on the water but no risers. Plenty of willing, hungry fish on nymphs though. Was mainly fishing as low as possible and hooked some nice fish, but caught a half dozen closer to the surface just shortly after flies hit the water. Didn't cross paths with any other anglers but there was a car at each access point. Great weather to be out.

jrs

Post by jrs » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:30 pm

I was out this morning (Friday). I first stopped at a popular stream south of I-90. It was pretty stained, but I decided to streamer fish anyway. Fished rather quickly through a short stream reach, hooked up with a nice ~16" fish and moved a few more fish. But, fish didn't really seem to be on the streamer that well yet, so I decided to look for clearer water.

I stopped at another stream north of I-90 (pretty sure this is same stream as Randy's favorite spot). This stream was still stained, but quite a bit clearer. I would say at least 12" visibility. I switched to nymphs with a Perdigon and Beatis nymph, but wasn't doing much. I switched to a red squirmy worm and did very well, especially in riffles and heads of runs. Lots of fat, colorful browns.

Lots of mosquitoes out there which caught me off guard. Guess we had a new brood hatch with the rain over the last couple weeks.

Troutchaser

Post by Troutchaser » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:57 am

My son and I fished two streams Saturday south of I-90. First is a rather large watershed - greyish water was running fairly hard and fast, but fish were to be found in areas downstream of riffles. Visibility less than 18". Nymphs were successful - but no hopper or dry-fly action. Lots of hornets out feasting on dropped apples and plums, etc. Switched to a smaller watershed two valleys over. Water was crystal-clear, running fairly fast and fishing was non-productive. Water temp was 55 degrees, and scuds were active in the weeds. Saw only two other anglers - one reported moving a few fish on streamers. A great day to be out!

brntrout

Post by brntrout » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:59 pm

As of today 10-2-19 most streams in SE MN are not in fishable condition. I called Lanesboro Fisheries and they said many streams in their area are almost or bank full and filthy. So I'm going to say angling this weekend will be very limited to a few smaller streams of shorter length and maybe just in the headwaters of those streams. IS IT EVER GOING TO QUIT RAINING?

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:37 am

I know a stretch that will be clear but unfortunately a large percent of the fish died last week.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

brntrout

Post by brntrout » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:09 am

10-3- 19

Just got back from checking a few streams. it appears not all streams will be unfishable! A popular stream South of i-90 is high and off color but is fishable with lures, streamers or nymph's. I also checked a few other streams near Chatfield that were in similar condition. While there not as clear as most would like they are fishable using the right gear!

If one wants to fish this weekend it appears there is options to make that happen. Keep in mind dry fishing will likely not be good except on some very small streams, MAYBE!

At this time of year the remaining baetis hatches should be going (on some streams)or in the process of finishing up! So if one finds clear enough water one might run into that hatch?