8/6 & 8/8 Report

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
Randy
Site Admin

8/6 & 8/8 Report

Post by Randy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:08 pm

Fished Friday 8/6 late afternoon, N of I-90 until about sunset, and got out for a few hours this afternoon, S of I-90 from about 1-4pm.

Fishing was excellent both days, but Friday evening's dry fly fishing was some of the best I've experienced in a long time. There weren't many bugs on top or constant rising to naturals, but fish were happy to hit with abandon. Started Friday with a caddis, wore it out, fished another caddis until more mayflies started coming off around 6:30-7pm then switched to an Adams.

Caddis were all over the rocks on the stream I fished Friday. Everywhere along the stretch I fished.

Weather was awesome today (Sunday) with the rain, drizzle, and overcast. There was a mix of baetis, caddis, craneflies, and a random assortment of other unidentifiable mayflies. Fished a couple different Adams patters the whole time and caught some larger fish today than on Friday. Great time of the year to be out... just about my favorite time of year.

brntrout

Re: 8/6 & 8/8 Report

Post by brntrout » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:40 am

Randy,

The rock full of caddis cases appears to be brachycentrus tube caddis ( gray caddis) probably B. numerosus. This species has its prime emergence period in mid to late April and runs into May. However, based on information in the book Caddisflies by Gary Lafontaine, the adults can be present at times in meaningful abundance into mid September.

I would assume most of the mayflies were baetis/bwo's which the fall brood normally kicks in about now. The other mayfly species could be a variety of species depending on the streams you fished.

For those trying to get in some dry fly fishing, now is the time, as most hatches of caddis and mayflies will be finishing up by the end of the month. There can be some action in October but its not as good as now generally!

Nice report Randy, sounds like you had an awesome weekend!

Randy
Site Admin

Post by Randy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:16 am

Yep, majority were baetis. The other random mayflies ran a bit larger to ~size 16, even 14. Saw some oddballs in the mix that you'd normally see in May or June and occasionally there were larger tan caddis in the mix but most of the caddis were those smaller grays. Fish weren't too selective on fly choices, which was nice.

brntrout

Post by brntrout » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:18 am

Its always nice not to have to match the hatch, as it makes it a lot easier to catch trout using many different patterns without the fish caring one bit what one is using for flies!

The tan caddis are most likely Hydropsyche but may be something different entirely!

I hope all the rain moving in does NOT mess up stream conditions AGAIN! It would be nice to have decent stream conditions for the rest of the Fall season, as stream conditions most of the year have been marginal at best this angling season!