What type of Flyfisherman are you??

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
mcktrout

What type of Flyfisherman are you??

Post by mcktrout »

This is a recent article by a Montana fishing guide:

http://www.explorebigsky.com/the-eddy-l ... them/30902

BTW, I have been all 5 types at various points in time, except perhaps the cool dude. If there was ever a time when I was a cool dude, no one (including me) noticed!

brntrout

Re: What type of Flyfisherman are you??

Post by brntrout »

I can't say I have ever been any of the 5 types using the strict descriptions mentioned, unless being a "match the hatch" guy qualifies as being a bug nerd. IMO attaining more information always makes one a better anglers and knowing how to match the hatch helps one achieve that goal. Knowing what trout eat and how to imitate those food items does not make one a nerd, but it does make one more knowledgeable which provides greater opportunities to catch more trout instead of fewer per outing!

trouts

Post by trouts »

I also don't think I have ever fit any of these catagories, but this was a fun read. I have always been a "match the hatch" kind of person because I find it interesting to see what they are keying in on eating. I've enjoyed learning about the different insects and the variations they can have from stream to stream.

I used to want to catch as many fish as possible in my younger years. I now find myself slowing down, fishing mostly bamboo, and trying to catch a particular fish in a pool. I enjoy trying to get a feeding fish to take a dry even if they are eating nymphs. I'm sure my fishing style will continue to evolve and change as I age.

Cutthroat

Post by Cutthroat »

I don't think I fit any of those categories. I just do whatever I can to catch trout on flies--regularly snagging trees or shoreline grass on the backcast, untangling wind knots, or tripping over submerged rocks and logs.

Troutchaser

Post by Troutchaser »

What Cutthroat said... Add to that being occasionally baptized in certain rivers and creeks.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Cutthroat wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:31 pm
I don't think I fit any of those categories. I just do whatever I can to catch trout on flies--regularly snagging trees or shoreline grass on the backcast, untangling wind knots, or tripping over submerged rocks and logs.
Troutchaser wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:37 pm
What Cutthroat said... Add to that being occasionally baptized in certain rivers and creeks.
Great posts! :lol: :lol: :lol:

TaG

Post by TaG »

I’m with Cutthroat, I seem to be very good at catching vegetation streamside, many days that is where I have the most success.

WhiteGlovedHowdy

Post by WhiteGlovedHowdy »

I was fishing at a lodge, doesn’t matter where, and overheard a guide talking to another guide about that “howdy” guy he had drawn for the next day. “He’s a good stick,” the guide said, “You won’t have any problems”. At that moment the head of house keeping walked by, “and he makes his own bed”, she added. That’s the type of fly fisherman I was proud to be at that moment. Just saying.

Cutthroat

Post by Cutthroat »

WhiteGlovedHowdy wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:25 am
I was fishing at a lodge, doesn’t matter where, and overheard a guide talking to another guide about that “howdy” guy he had drawn for the next day. “He’s a good stick,” the guide said, “You won’t have any problems”. At that moment the head of house keeping walked by, “and he makes his own bed”, she added. That’s the type of fly fisherman I was proud to be at that moment. Just saying.
Positive feedback is always a good thing. It sure beats overhearing bits like "that idiot" or "doesn't know how to fish", etc... :lol:

High Stick

Post by High Stick »

None of the above.

Fly fishing is a lifestyle, IMO. One that I embrace. I love to try new flies, new gear, and the likes, even if I end up not liking it in the end. I don't Tenkara. I don't Czech nymph. I don't perdigon. I don't rough fish. If you do, I'm not judging. It's just not for me.

I nymph rig, throw streamers, fish hatches, match hatches, get out of bed early to fish pesky tricos, throw terrestrials when I can, and I like prospecting with the dry and dropper. I love a cool winter day fishing midges when the landscape looks like you're fishing on the moon.

I also take all fall off and do other things: bow hunt, gun hunt, pheasants. I don't Iowa. If you do, enjoy.

I love hanging out with a few fishing friends, fishing familiar water, new water, Western water, and having a cold one at the end of the day.

I still want to catch every fish in the pod. I want to catch the hole master. I want to fish versus hitting the water to cast. There is a difference.

Probably not a category for that, but I'm comfortable in my own waders, and that's really all that matters.