Fishing Report- June 11

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
jrs

Re: Fishing Report- June 11

Post by jrs » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:55 pm

Absorbine Jr. Bring it with you and reapply every 30 minutes or so as needed. I put it right on my face, neck, hand backs. If they are really bad, a head net.

mcktrout

Post by mcktrout » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:07 am

I used permethrin extensively in the Peace Corps in Africa and it both kills and repells bugs. Bugs try to avoid, but once they land they die.

We were instructed to use rubber gloves and avoid contact with skin while it is wet. I don’t remember why.

Once dry, it’s ok to touch.

brntrout

Post by brntrout » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:18 am

Did anyone run into a GOOD Light Hendrickson hatch? I'm sure by now its either over or about to be over? There should still be an opportunity to hit a good March Brown and Yellow Sally stonefly hatch on certain streams. AND if you're in the know some streams have Brown Drakes that can be good in certain years.

My son and his fishing buddy hit a good Baetis hatch on a popular stream South of I-90 on Tuesday. He said quite a few trout were rising and they caught a fair number of trout. Between them they kept 6 smaller trout for dinner

TFO5wt

Post by TFO5wt » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:18 am

Yes. I hit a good LH hatch about 10 days ago south of 90. Plenty of fish caught on dries. A very reliable source told me the night before that they were coming off on that system during the day but due to stained water fish weren't eating duns. 24 hours of clearing water was all that was needed to get them to start taking drag free drifted bugs.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

kketchmark

Post by kketchmark » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:56 am

I fished again Thursday. But fist I found BUGS. I works great for the gnats. It is in a white and green bottle. Most of the stores have it. Caught 2 brown on a Flash back Pheasant Tail Nymph. I have been having great luck all week on it. Thursday I also headed into Iowa. Going to try a few streams and explore. Last night I caught 5 rainbow in about 1 1/2 hours. The streams are a little stained every place I have been.

brntrout

Post by brntrout » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:17 am

FYI, one reason streams may be clearing more slowly is water tables in SE MN have been high for the last 2 decades according to DNR Fisheries in Lake City. When DNR Fisheries Research was conducting studies to determine the genetic make up of brook trout throughout the SE region they measured or monitored everything including stream flows. Based on previous data they determined many streams have increase flows by 2/3 over what they were back in the early 90's. Having higher water tables may be another reason stream are having increased bank erosion issues during high water events. Ground that is already saturated does not absorb rain fall as readily and more of the precipitation runs off instead of going into the ground.

The increased flows is also the main reason our trout populations "overall" are the highest they've ever been in SE MN. The bottom line, increased flows means increased cold water being pumped into most streams = more trout.

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:13 am

Brook trout populations are also on the rise in streams that are overwhelmingly dominated by brown trout. (most likely due to increased flows with more consistent temps.)

I know this has been debated over and over but the DNR is again doing more DNA testing of brook trout in an area that has has ZERO surveying completed because the entire watershed is privately held.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

brntrout

Post by brntrout » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:04 pm

I don't know how they can verify whether brook trout in our area are the native strain, the original strain of brook trout to our area were called the Mississippi Valley Strain. The last I knew the DNR and U of M people never found a DNA sample of the original MV strain brook trout to compare to the current brook trout strains in our area.

I would think it might be a little hard to compare DNA when they don't have any samples to compare too?

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:37 am

The only comparisons being made are to the strains they have identified. If they find a strain that doesnt match with the strains they have on file it is a good bet it is of the original local strain. Is it an absolute? No. Does it even matter? IMO, NO. I'm still interested in the project.

NO harm no foul.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:50 am

I fished a favorite section of the WW system on Saturday morning. I caught plenty of fish but not as many as I thought I would have and the average size was smaller than i had expected. I caught 3-4 trout that were "decent" size but didn't see anything remotely close to what I consider big. The water had what I consider to be the prefect amount of stain to it.

Not sure if it was because I haven't fished yet this year but I thought the water seemed COLD. I wish i would have brought my temp measuring device. I believe that the mayflies that started to come off at about 11:30 were sulphers. They were pretty decent size and light colored. I'm sure there is some local variation but from what I googled that's what they looked like.

I dont know how big of a hurry I am to try that section again but I recon I'll give it another go this fall.