Fishing Report- June 11

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
dpnoll

Fishing Report- June 11

Post by dpnoll » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:46 pm

Fished North of I 90 this morning for about 1 1/2 hours and landed 11, all on a Pink Squirrel. The water was stained but with good visibility. The gnats were terrible which is why I only fished for 90 minutes. Anyone have any suggestions for those little pests?

WhiteGlovedHowdy

Re: Fishing Report- June 11

Post by WhiteGlovedHowdy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:06 pm

Thanks for report. Absorbine jr. Works great for gnats. I put it on my hat brim. On skin it evaporates too quickly. A buff helps some. I'm fishing somewhere wed. I'll report.Here carp have been eating cottonwood seeds. Caught some large ones on snowshoe hare seed flies. The absorbine stains a bit so wear an old hat.

TFO5wt

Post by TFO5wt » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:29 pm

Permethrin. Treat your fishing clothes, buffs, and hats.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

dpnoll

Post by dpnoll » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:42 pm

I do have all my clothes treated. Problem was that they loved my eyes, ears and nostrils.

High Stick

Post by High Stick » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:50 am

Hy-Vee Imitation Vanilla Extract. I have fished quite a bit through this spell of gnats and have had nary a bite. I rub it liberally all over face, ears, next, and hat.

That said, I have a fishing cohort who gets torn up pretty hard by gnats, more so than I, so some of it must have to do with one's individual CO2 properties.

dpnoll

Post by dpnoll » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:56 am

Just ordered some bug dope with picaridin that is supposed to work.

What is the difference between DEET and picaridin?
As with DEET, the EPA has concluded that the normal use of picaridin does not present a health concern. Studies have shown picaridin to be as effective as DEET in repelling mosquitoes. Unlike DEET, however, picaridin is odorless, non-greasy, and does not dissolve plastics or other synthetics.

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:56 am

Deet does virtually nothing for gnats. I use the all natural stuff that I buy at the local hardware store. It use to be called Buggins but i think they were bought out by someone else. Not sure what the brand is now but it does work. I fished S. of 90 on a bigger Fork yesterday in a pastured section. The gnats were out but with the spray and the breeze they were a non issue. I caught plenty of fish but nothing of any size. Majority were 10" browns but I also caught 2 brookies.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

kketchmark

Post by kketchmark » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:29 am

I was also out yesterday. The small stream I was on was just a little cloudy. Only fished about 2 hours. I am camping all week south of 90. Rained all night, :x The Gnats are bad. I am going to look for some Permethrin today. Anyone know where to find it south of 90 between Preston and Caledonia?

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:52 am

Possibly Village farm (believe thats what its called) in Canton. Just check the closest hardware store. All of these small town hardware stores have an "ag" section that should carry something. It most likely will be labeled for horses.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

darklake

Post by darklake » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:10 am

I understand why permithrin might work for ticks -- thay are relativly slow moving and have to walk across the clothes that have been treated, which apparently then kills them. But how would it work for hordes of little gnats? Does it kill them, too? And what good does it do to kill a few dozen when there are, in the words of Carl Sagan, billions and billions of them? The ones that don't come in direct contact with treated clothng can still land on your skin and bite you, right? :x