Lanesboro Dam Work

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
High Stick

Re: Lanesboro Dam Work

Post by High Stick »

Let me guess. This is all taxpayer funded?

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

Rivers were created to flow freely, nuff said. As far as the inverts go, the water would cool below the dam but I bet it wouldn't be more than a 2-3 miles before the temps even out to where they are currently below the dam. The temps would be more "stable" though.

I dont believe the invasive specie control to be worth it either. As far as Asian Carp go, they dont like the colder water and wouldn't inhabit the trout portion of the river anyway. It was also mentioned that a dam would only hold off an invasion for so long because of illegal stocking or be moved in by more natural means.

The river would be much more recreationally friendly without the dam as well. Whomever the people are that are coming just to see the dam and do other activities in town would be replaced by others who are actually using the river for more than just looking at. Replacing/fixing a dam of this nature is a complete waste of money if it is of no benefit to the river and what is living beneath its surface.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

If we are going to talk about sediment and removing the dam, remember that it is just stacked limestone blocks. One layer of blocks could be removed every year until they are all taken out. If it was removed in this manner the sediment would be flushed out slowly over the years during high water events until the sediment is all gone. With the dam the sediment is only going to move further and further up stream until the "pool" is entirely filled and miles of trout and invert habitat upstream is lost
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

I just got an email. The Lanesboro Dam project is being put on hold until next year as the permitting process is way behind schedule and they don't want to start the project in late summer and have things all tore up when they have to shut down Oct 15th!

Since Lanesboro Dam isn't going to be removed, speculating about what would happen if it were removed maybe fun but pointless in the end. Most of the funding for the project will come from state bonding/taxpayers money.

TFO5wt

Post by TFO5wt »

It’s 2019. I think it’s pretty clear there is no place for dams at this point. Rivers are meant to be free flowing, not hindered by an impoundment that generates a minimal amount of electricity or for tourists to look at. Tear the damn thing down.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

TFO5wt wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:59 am
It’s 2019. I think it’s pretty clear there is no place for dams at this point. Rivers are meant to be free flowing, not hindered by an impoundment that generates a minimal amount of electricity or for tourists to look at. Tear the damn thing down.
And where is TU at? Dams are a big issue and they should be standing behind the removal of ALL dams of this nature that have ZERO benefit. It is a public river. Why should the decision be made by those few people of the small town the dam is in. The people of Lewiston weren't able to push a farm expansion. A hog setup was crushed by non local interest. Where is the consistency?

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

Pickwick and Bucksnort dams should also be on the chopping block. Like I said where is TU.

High Stick

Post by High Stick »

TU is too busy licking Ecological Service's boots and begging LSOHC for grant money to continue to implement the high quality stream restoration they are known for (insert joke here). John Lenczewski has worn out his welcome. It's time for new leadership at the state level, one that actually understands there is more to trout than writing grants, doing poor HI, and then touting the benefits of it in the TU state newsletter.

Phony. Fraudulent. False. Disingenuous. Dismissive. Those are all words I would use to describe TU at the state, and even in some cases, at the local level. They have a lot of work to do if they want new members, as well as convincing the old members to come back.

TFO5wt

Post by TFO5wt »

Well put fellas. This is just another glaring example of where/how TU has their priorities out of whack.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

Cutthroat

Post by Cutthroat »

S.T.Fanatic wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:07 am
Rivers were created to flow freely, nuff said. As far as the inverts go, the water would cool below the dam but I bet it wouldn't be more than a 2-3 miles before the temps even out to where they are currently below the dam. The temps would be more "stable" though.

I dont believe the invasive specie control to be worth it either. As far as Asian Carp go, they dont like the colder water and wouldn't inhabit the trout portion of the river anyway. It was also mentioned that a dam would only hold off an invasion for so long because of illegal stocking or be moved in by more natural means.

The river would be much more recreationally friendly without the dam as well. Whomever the people are that are coming just to see the dam and do other activities in town would be replaced by others who are actually using the river for more than just looking at. Replacing/fixing a dam of this nature is a complete waste of money if it is of no benefit to the river and what is living beneath its surface.
Well said, and I agree 100 percent.