Any hatch updates?

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
brntrout

Re: Any hatch updates?

Post by brntrout »

jrs wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:39 am
brntrout wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:45 am
John,

I haven't been out enough to hit the Dark Hendrickson hatch, since you fish a lot do you think its over, its now getting pretty late for DH's to hang around?

Don't really know. In the last few weeks, I've fished a couple streams that I'm pretty sure still have a hatch.
I've only seen a few stray adults, but have had pretty good fishing with a Dark Hendrickson nymph.

Water is still awfully cold. April has been more like late winter than spring fishing. In fact, 3 fish on a baetis dun is the extent of my dry fly fishing in April!
WOW, you still have me beat I've caught zero on dries!

I suppose its still possible DH's could be still be around even though we've had numerous days with stream temperatures in the low 50's. DH's usually start emergence when stream temps reach the 50 to 55 degree range.

The GOOD NEWS its suppose to be 62 Fri, 69 Sat and 58 Sunday with sun on Fri and Sat. With temperatures in that range it should get our caddis hatches going. If the hatch does not take off on Fri, I bet it will on Sat for sure! :D

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Blanket caddis hatch on popular stream South of I-90, every Sq. inch of water was covered,trout were done feeding for the day within 30 minutes of the hatch starting. Millions and millions of bugs on the water not one single trout rose after the first 30 minutes of the start of the hatch.

The scenario is likely to be repeated tomorrow as all spring caddis species have been mature for quite sometime. That usually mean super heavy concentrated hatches with a short hatch span ( in days that is) unless the weather alters things?

TaG

Post by TaG »

I hope they hold out until this weekend, that is my first chance to get out this spring!

BlackDog

Post by BlackDog »

I caught a few today on a size 18 cdc gray caddis.
----------beer
E=MC

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Fishing should be better today (5-5-19) than yesterday provided stream temperatures get to the mid 50's and there isn't a blanket hatch?

trouts

Post by trouts »

Caddis were emerging for around 40 minutes on the stream I was on south of 90 yesterday. Certainly not a blanket hatch, but enough to get most of the fish in a pool looking up. Wish I wasn't assigned yard work duty today.

Wendy Berrell

Post by Wendy Berrell »

Fished yesterday and today north of 90. With my kid who just turned 12. Main goal was to get him fish.

Absolute murder with caddis dries and softies swinging down to the feeding fish. Basically seemed like unlimited trout were ready to eat. We stopped fishing them and went home today around 1 pm. Saw a lot of people too.

The caddis dry did not really matter - size, color, etc. Caddis were on the water all day, seemed like heaviest was 930-11230 AM both days.

Kid caught fish standing in one place swinging soft hackle to risers for what seemed like 45-60 minutes; he stopped fishing because he slipped and fell in over his waders and got pissed.

Nymphs and streamers were absolute waste of time relative to the caddis stuff. He swung streamers like a champ and never got a single fish.

Every trout was absolutely fat with bugs. We killed one last night to eat with ramps; it was full of chiros and caddis.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Had family duties most of the day yesterday but did eventually find time to fish about an hour late in the day on a popular stream South of I-90. It appeared there was another excellent hatch but not as heavy as Saturday. The hatch consisted mostly of gray caddis. I noticed there was a lot of egg layers from Saturday's hatch, I caught a number fish skating my dry fly to imitate the egg layers. All trout were caught on dries, I kept 2 for dinner. Maybe the other caddis species will kick in soon. Hopefully caddis fishing will be good through the weekend. Even if the hatches peter out, trout will be looking up for them for quite sometime, as caddisflies can live up to month unlike mayflies.
Last edited by brntrout on Tue May 07, 2019 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteGlovedHowdy

Post by WhiteGlovedHowdy »

Mrs. Howdy and I had business down along the Iowa border and managed to fish some Sunday. Caddis were popping in the afternoon. Caught them on caddis with a cdc underwing. PG caddis. Blue butt Caddis didn't seem to matter. We fished some soft hackles too. That's always fun. Really a nice antidote to planting grass seed all Saturday morning. Great reports!

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

WhiteGlovedHowdy wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:04 pm
Mrs. Howdy and I had business down along the Iowa border and managed to fish some Sunday. Caddis were popping in the afternoon. Caught them on caddis with a cdc underwing. PG caddis. Blue butt Caddis didn't seem to matter. We fished some soft hackles too. That's always fun. Really a nice antidote to planting grass seed all Saturday morning. Great reports!
How many different species did you see hatching?