Any hatch updates?

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
trouts

Re: Any hatch updates?

Post by trouts »

I saw at least two species on Sat. Most were grey caddis, but did see several of the larger tan winged.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

I would bet caddis will be around through the weekend but the gray caddis emergence will probably be over. If we are lucky the other spring caddis species will get going just in time for the weekend. Like I mentioned before, even if hatches are through, caddis dry fly fishing can still be good for awhile after the emergence period is over

I'm going fishing today I'll report later.

WhiteGlovedHowdy

Post by WhiteGlovedHowdy »

We had very small gray caddis.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Ran into a fair gray caddis hatch yesterday. Still no other caddis species hatching. Caught fish on dries and pupa. The majority of trout caught were under 12 inches in length.

On the stretch of stream I fished there are a ton of 1 & 2 year old fish. That means there will be no shortage of trout for quite sometime. I would guess the 2019 year class of YOY trout is above average as well. The 2019 spring runoff event came fairly late so most of the trout had already hatched out before we got high water.

"IF" streams do not get dirty from the rains today, fishing should be good this weekend I would think?