Any hatch updates?

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
jedwuuba

Any hatch updates?

Post by jedwuuba » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:16 pm

Haven’t been out for a while and just wondering where we are bug wise? Gonna get some time on the water the next couple days and will report back.
Cast. Catch. Release. Repeat.

WhiteGlovedHowdy

Re: Any hatch updates?

Post by WhiteGlovedHowdy » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:58 pm

Caddis on a small stream north of 90 today. Fish were eating them. Caught a bunch. Weather looks to change so who knows. Best of luck.

jrs

Post by jrs » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:44 pm

I was out today south of I-90. There were baetis hatching sporadically through the morning. There were also caddis hatching a little more consistently in late morning. Not enough of either to get fish rising, but nymph fishing was good. Peeking Caddis, green / black caddis pupa, baetis, and perdigons all produced fish. Stream temp was right out 50.

brntrout

Post by brntrout » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:32 am

I saw a super light hatch of gray caddis on a popular stream south of I-90 on Wednesday afternoon when stream temps reached 54 degrees. Caught fish on gray caddis pupa. The coming crappy weather should shut down any potential caddis hatch until streams temperatures reach the 54 to 56 degree range again.

jedwuuba

Post by jedwuuba » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:07 pm

Thanks for the updates. I didn’t make it out there so nothing on my end.
Cast. Catch. Release. Repeat.

jrs

Post by jrs » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:59 pm

brntrout wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:32 am
I saw a super light hatch of gray caddis on a popular stream south of I-90 on Wednesday afternoon when stream temps reached 54 degrees. Caught fish on gray caddis pupa. The coming crappy weather should shut down any potential caddis hatch until streams temperatures reach the 54 to 56 degree range again.
How were you fishing that pupa -- deep dead drift or rising, higher in the water column?

Also got a pupa recipe? I'm assuming it's the "grass green" and black that you've described in the past.

brntrout

Post by brntrout » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:26 am

jrs wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:59 pm
brntrout wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:32 am
How were you fishing that pupa -- deep dead drift or rising, higher in the water column?

Also got a pupa recipe? I'm assuming it's the "grass green" and black that you've described in the past.
Last Wednesday a dead drift in shallow riffles did the trick as active fish were in those areas predominately. I did catch some fish in deeper pool/run areas. I let the fly get deep then used the Leisering lift with a slight twitching technique. I tied my pupa imitation on a #18 jighead euro style hook with a black bead for my "grass green & black" caddis pupa. I tied it that way so I wouldn't need extra weight in riffle areas. When I fished deeper areas I added extra weight to my tippet.

With this nasty cold weather caddis hatches are behind schedule. Once it gets warm enough for the hatches to kick in hatches should be concentrated and probably quite heavy. That may mean multiple caddis species will be hatching at the same time. So anglers should be aware its very likely three or more "different caddis species" may be on the water at the same time! ;)
Last edited by brntrout on Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

jrs

Post by jrs » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:02 pm

Thanks for the details, brntrout.

I fished again today south of I-90, but it was fairly slow. Compared to last Wednesday, it was kind of like someone pushed the "pause" or even "rewind" button on the spring warmup. No caddis or other bugs around, no fish rising, and stream temps back in the upper 40s (even at mid-day). Water was still clear though.

I managed 10 of fish, but had to work for them. Most were dredged from deep pools or runs. Some from deeper riffles, but still hugging bottom. Fished a green / black pupa, peeking caddis, and baetis nymph but a black / orange Perdigon and red squirmy worm were the most productive for me. The squirmy produced two 16" fish from a deep run.

brntrout

Post by brntrout » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:45 am

John,

I haven't been out enough to hit the Dark Hendrickson hatch, since you fish a lot do you think its over, its now getting pretty late for DH's to hang around?

jrs

Post by jrs » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:39 am

brntrout wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:45 am
John,

I haven't been out enough to hit the Dark Hendrickson hatch, since you fish a lot do you think its over, its now getting pretty late for DH's to hang around?

Don't really know. In the last few weeks, I've fished a couple streams that I'm pretty sure still have a hatch.
I've only seen a few stray adults, but have had pretty good fishing with a Dark Hendrickson nymph.

Water is still awfully cold. April has been more like late winter than spring fishing. In fact, 3 fish on a baetis dun is the extent of my dry fly fishing in April!