Stream reports?

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
brntrout

Re: Stream reports?

Post by brntrout »

Today and Tuesday should produce better angling results with stream temperatures improving both days. Tuesday conditions will be ripe for BWO's to possibly hatch in above average abundance. :D
Last edited by brntrout on Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randy
Site Admin

Post by Randy »

I got out for a quick outing yesterday afternoon and caught a handful but catching was below average. Stream was clear and a bit cold due to the runoff, about 44-45 degrees through the afternoon. I did see a lot of people out fishing... most access points had cars parked

WhiteGlovedHowdy

Post by WhiteGlovedHowdy »

Ran into some guys at a stream near Preston. Asked them where they were headed and said I'd go the other way OR Just fish behind them I didn't care. They said, "Sir, you go where you want to fish and we'll avoid you." Yes, they said Sir. My conclusion? Get old, and people will be nice to you, because they feel sorry for you. Hobbling slightly and letting some saliva drip down your chin adds to the sympathy factor.

Kidding aside, their response made my day. Nice young guys.

darklake

Post by darklake »

WhiteGlovedHowdy wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:10 am
Hobbling slightly and letting some saliva drip down your chin adds to the sympathy factor.
That shouldn't be a problem for me. :)

jay92

Post by jay92 »

Fished yesterday, both above and below 90. Mixed bag of stream conditions saw some, especially above 90 that were bank full and brown, and others that were nearly clear. So. of 90 found larger water nearly perfect conditions, with a few baetis and a single much larger mayfly at a distance that I would guess was a dark hendrickson. Only a few stray risers. Nymphing was solid, with the overwhelming favorite being size 18 baetis nymphs. Warmer temps today should get those olives jumping up.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Anyone make it out today?

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

brntrout wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:27 pm
Anyone make it out today?
I fished a short section of water that is slated to drastically change in the next year or two. I only fished for about an hour and fifteen minutes and only caught 4 trout. There were plenty of boot tracks and a couple other cars so my expectations weren't to high. Water was clear with above average flows. The weather was beautiful with it only being slightly windier than I would have liked but the sun sure felt nice.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

harris

Post by harris »

Fished between two named bridges S of 90 on some hard to access water. On the water from noon to four or so with a friend. Very few rising fish. Water very clear and 47 degrees. Got a few on crane fly and midge larva. Beautiful day.
Could see significant flooding signs and stream changes. Didn’t see any Dark Hendrickson nymphs under rocks. Both of us worried about the hatch this spring.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

harris wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:19 pm
Fished between two named bridges S of 90 on some hard to access water. On the water from noon to four or so with a friend. Very few rising fish. Water very clear and 47 degrees. Got a few on crane fly and midge larva. Beautiful day.
Could see significant flooding signs and stream changes. Didn’t see any Dark Hendrickson nymphs under rocks. Both of us worried about the hatch this spring.
Flood damage was minimal on the majority of streams and the high water level during the 36 hour event was not out of the average spring runoff range.

We have been taking pictures on many different streams including more today. The one thing we found very consistent was stream bottom substrates on every stream we toured were NOT scoured white or had stream bottom substrates shifted during the high water event. What that means is spring hatches should be very normal or even above normal this spring.

I should also mention many Win-Cres chapter members have been checking for invertebrate abundance on many different streams and from their reports invert populations seemed to very abundant on the streams they checked. 8-)

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

I forgot to add, on streams that still have Dark Hendricksons ( less each year)they usually start emerging when stream temperature reach between 50 & 55 degrees. Maybe, sometime next week possibly ????