Stream reports?

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
FlyFisherJoe

Stream reports?

Post by FlyFisherJoe »

Anyone checked out any streams after the first day of snowfall?

brntrout

Re: Stream reports?

Post by brntrout »

I drove by a few streams yesterday and they were clear. I feel confident most will be in fish-able condition for the weekend. The only problem anglers may encounter is snow melt may drop stream temperatures so much fish will feed much less actively than if stream temperatures were higher. I guess the only way to find out is to get out there and give it a shot!

darklake

Post by darklake »

So how badly did you get hit down there? I'm thnkng of making a trek south around the 24th and am hoping I can leave my snowshoes at home..... :roll:

TaG

Post by TaG »

Should be good to go, unfortunately they are calling for rain and colder temps which will drop water temperature.
Tight lines
Bob

dpnoll

Post by dpnoll »

I fished last Tuesday in Vernon County and the water was clear and the trout were cooperating. Heading down Tuesday, I'll post a report that night.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

darklake wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:29 am
So how badly did you get hit down there? I'm thnkng of making a trek south around the 24th and am hoping I can leave my snowshoes at home..... :roll:
North of Rochester had 4 to 5 inches of snow and South of Rochester it was approx. 2 or 3 inches. Most of the frost is out so most of the snow melt will soak into the ground and any runoff should be minor. At worst stream temperatures may be on the cold side the next few days so trout feeding activity may be on the slow side, until the snow is gone again. After that fishing should pick up unless the weather messes with us again. By the 24th if weather doesn't cause problems trout fishing should be back to normal. Please, keep in mind, average stream temperatures have been below normal so its likely hatches will be later than normal.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Did anyone get out today?

mcktrout

Post by mcktrout »

Lowest turnout in memory.

I saw more deer than fisherman in a popular pasture section.

High Stick

Post by High Stick »

Water was clear everywhere I went yesterday. Plenty of spin fishers in the usual place: SBRR in Preston, below the dam in Lanesboro. They looked pretty miserable standing there in that weather.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

So did anyone catch anything?