Fishing Reports

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
brntrout

Fishing Reports

Post by brntrout »

Just curious, if many were out over the weekend? By chance did anyone run into a decent BWO hatch, or early light caddis hatch? I'm guessing fishing had to have been decent at least one day? :)

High Stick

Re: Fishing Reports

Post by High Stick »

Fished Saturday. Clean water. Not many guys around. No hatches to speak of. Soft hackles dead drift killed it, though.

I think the water temperatures never really got high enough for the hatches to kick and get going. Feels a little late this year.

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

I fished a non designated stretch on Saturday morning. I caught fish but it wasn't what I had hoped for. The water was still slightly stained so i'm guessing it was fairly cold still. I found a handful of big fish on this stretch last year but didn't see any that day. I did catch a 10" brown that you could tell was in the mouth of a much bigger fish and managed to escape so there's still hope that there in there. I believe that stream is at the beginning of its traditional 15 year "cycle" and will be producing some very nice sized fish in the years to come.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

Randy
Site Admin

Post by Randy »

Wish I was able to get out there today and tomorrow... sure is going to be a different landscape for the "opener" this coming weekend.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Randy wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:08 pm
sure is going to be a different landscape for the "opener" this coming weekend.
YUP!

WednesdaySnow likely before 1pm, then rain and snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 35. East wind 9 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Wednesday NightRain and snow, possibly mixed with freezing rain and sleet before 3am, then sleet, possibly mixed with snow. Low around 31. Breezy, with an east wind 16 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. New snow and sleet accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

ThursdaySnow and sleet, possibly mixed with freezing rain before 1pm, then rain, possibly mixed with snow. High near 34. Windy, with an east wind 21 to 26 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. New snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Thursday NightRain and snow before 9pm, then snow likely, possibly mixed with freezing rain. Low around 29. Blustery, with a northeast wind 14 to 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

FridayA chance of snow and freezing rain before 7am, then a chance of snow between 7am and 1pm, then a chance of rain and snow after 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 36. Breezy, with a north wind 13 to 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Friday NightA 10 percent chance of snow before 7pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 26. West wind 8 to 13 mph.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Not a good forecast I'm afraid. Streams may become dirty by the weekend and stream temperatures will not be the best for good fishing!

trouts

Post by trouts »

Friday there were just enough BWO's to get a few pods of fish to rise consistently. We both managed a couple of fish from each pod on top. Mostly a streamers/nymphing day.

Sat was better and more bugs and fish looking up. Still not what I was hoping for hatch wise.

Sunday was the much better day. The warmer overnight temps and warmer day temps definitely helped. Lots more BWO's out and several hours of good dry fly fishing.

Guessing today and maybe tomorrow will be good for olives. This snow and cold weather is going to really mess things up.

jrs

Post by jrs »

I fished today and last Wednesday. Streams seem to be in great shape although a bit on the cold side -- still in the ,40s. I saw sporadic baetis hatching and fish rising, but not enough to tie on a dry fly. However, nymph fishing has been productive including Squirmies, Perdigons, peeking Caddis, Hendrickson nymphs, and baetis nymphs. Crane fly larva were killer a week or two ago, but seem to have cooled with the clearer water.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

A friend from Winona was fishing upstream from Choice the other day and said, he saw Dark Hendrickson's come off very sparse , with no risers. He did say, he caught a half dozen fish that seems to be in good shape on a DH nymph pattern. I have seen Dark Hendrickson's come off as early as late March into early May on different streams in SE MN. Normally, whatever that is, they usually come off between April 15th and April 20th. If its been colder than usual it can be on the late side or if its been warmer than usual its can off a little earlier than average time frame.

With the colder than normal spring temperatures and more cold weather on the way I would say most of our spring hatches should be a little late this year, maybe by a week possibly?