Minnesota Trout Unlimited Rush Creek Habitat Disaster

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
brntrout

Re: Minnesota Trout Unlimited Rush Creek Habitat Disaster

Post by brntrout »

I just got done talking with some DNR people who said the Rush Creek project will get fixed and the people responsible for the design failure will not be footing the bill. In other words more tax payers dollars will be used to fix this project design failure.

I also just found out MN DNR Fisheries has to go through MNTU to get money to do their own projects, which is ridiculous! . No wonder they are afraid to say something about these bad projects. :(

High Stick

Post by High Stick »

Then MNTU needs to grow a pair and say no to any monies they've raised to go towards inadequate stream projects.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

High Stick wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:27 pm
Then MNTU needs to grow a pair and say no to any monies they've raised to go towards inadequate stream projects.
That ship sailed a long time ago when they caved into MN DNR Eco Services wishes not to use rock, or install any real in-stream habitat structures when using LSOHC funds! VERY SAD :x

However, there is now ongoing discussions with LSOHC, DNR Fisheries and MNTU of a tour of badly destroyed projects to try and reach an agreement to get back on track with good habitat designs that provide real in -stream habitat for trout and stabilize banks with materials that do not wash away the first flood.

Personally, i'll believe it when I see it, after all it is politics. AND if Eco Services is involved in any way its extremely doubtful and anything positive will be resolved. MN DNR ECO SERVICES IS THE PROBLEM! They are directly responsible for FORCING MN DNR Fisheries and MNTU to follow their stream project design criteria which has resulted in project failure after project failure with millions of tax payer dollars wasted!
Last edited by brntrout on Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

I forgot to mention, Gary and I did tour the two different East Indian Creek projects today. The project done in 2014/2015 looks just like the Rush Creek project, total devastation! The project done in 2017 has many eroded banks and many banks in the early stages of collapsing. You can expect Gary to post those pictures early next week. "Full disclosure of all Eco Services type designed projects" in SE MN is in order, the public has the right to know their money had been wasted on a large scale!

!

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Its really sad the LSOHC has been dragged into this situation and given a black eye by MN DNR Eco Services. The LSOHC should expect the DNR to provide them with professional advice when reviewing any proposed project so they can make the right decision when approving projects for funding. This has not been the case with MN DNR Eco Services. Personally, I have no idea how the LSOHC can take Eco Services opinion seriously as every stream project they've been involved with directly or indirectly in SE MN has failed. Some of their projects have failed more than once in the same exact location. Example: the Middle Br, WW project in the State Park has failed twice in 15 years. Now their going to do a third project there. I can't believe more tax payers money is going to be used on another project destined to fail again if designed the same way!

What anglers should be doing is emailing or calling everyone possible, LSOHC, Governor, DNR Commisioner, and Legislators to make sure DNR Eco Service is never allowed to be involved or have say in any proposed trout project in SE MN ever again. All one has to do is take a look at DNR Eco Services record and its obvious they should not be telling antone how to design trout projects! How many failed projects does one have to see to know this is true?

I would like to give a BIG THANKS to everyone who has called, sent pictures or emailed the Governor, LSOHC or Legislators to let them know your extreme displeasure with the current stream work done by MNTU /Eco Services. You are making a real difference, as there is now a tour scheduled with the LSOHC, DNR Fisheries and MNTU to resolve all these problems with bad stream project designs! Lets hope it goes well and some thing meaningful comes out of it. I definitely have to commend the LSOHC for being honorable and wanting taxpayers money spent wisely! :D

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

We walked more streams this past week and found more extensive damage from poor design approaches on every stream we checked that used the soft, woody debris, Rosgen style design. Mistake after repeated mistake, how can so many mistakes be repeated over and over again without learning from them? Where is the accountability?

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

Unfortunately the farmers will use this against the State and say that the set backs are not doing their job and wasting valuable farmland. With low Ag prices this will be mentioned.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Erosion caused by agricultural land use was there way before any talk about setbacks. If they tried to use that argument, they would be called out so fast it would make their heads spin. Ag land use is the problem and set backs are just one tiny part of the fix.