Vise/tool advice

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
TaG

Vise/tool advice

Post by TaG »

I have a very close friend that I got started fly fishing a couple years ago. He was diagnosed with a brain tumor and underwent surgery last week. He is doing well but he will be unable to do much activity for the next three months. I thought it would be an opportune time to get him started tying. I have not purchased any tools in several years, when I started a bought a “kit” and felt that a lot of the stuff was not useful.
What would you suggest as a good starter set for a new tier? Not thinking of breaking the bank in case he doesn’t find it his cup of tea but still decent to build on if he enjoys it.
Thanks
Bob

trouts

Re: Vise/tool advice

Post by trouts »

I think Griffin makes the best vices for the money. https://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/i ... t-vice.htm. There are a lot of great vice companies, but everyone I know that has a Griffin has never had any trouble out of them. I personally prefer Regal vises, but they don't have a very cheap option. Looking for a used vise might also be a good option. I would try to avoid any of the really cheap vises you see in kits from the big box stores. They just don't hold up and for a little more money you could get the Griffin.

As far as tools just a basic bobbin, scissors, and whip finisher will get one by. A bodkin and threader are also nice to have.

kketchmark

Post by kketchmark »

Tha'ts the one I bought and it seems to be working fine for me. I bought mine from amazon. Used when I did my class so figured at had to be ok.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

The Renzetti Traveler vise is not a bad vise. but its more of mid price vise. As far as basic tying tools I think "trouts" covered it well.

I've had a Renzetti Traveler vise for almost 20 years and haven't had any problems with it! The nice thing about the Renzetti Traveler vise you can tie just about any size fly on it without any problems.

FlyFisherJoe

Post by FlyFisherJoe »

Mend has a great vise for $60 and a set of tools for $30 (prices may vary by $5-10).

TaG

Post by TaG »

Thanks!
I like the Griffin vise!
I may give him my vise and treat myself to the new one😇

I was thinking of starting him on wooly buggers, move on to Skinny Nelson (or another nymph) and then move to dries.
Any other tips for teaching a newbie? I basically taught myself with books and dvd’s . I am not the most accomplished tier but would like to give this a go for my buddy.

Thanks again

mcktrout

Post by mcktrout »

I like davie macphail on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DavieMcPhail