Great Waters

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
WhiteGlovedHowdy

Great Waters

Post by WhiteGlovedHowdy »

Looks like a good weekend to check out the Great Waters Fly Show at Hamline, always interesting for a few hours or so. Plenty of fly fishing luminaries, and multi-species presentations.

trouts

Re: Great Waters

Post by trouts »

I'll be there tomorrow. Can't fish with streams all blown out locally. :(

dpnoll

Post by dpnoll »

I'll be there late morning.

BlackDog

Post by BlackDog »

I was there this morning. Fun to see some friends, but I’ve got EVERYTHING necessary for my fishing so didn’t buy anything except some raffle tickets. Good to get out and get excited for the spring season once the water recedes.
----------beer
E=MC

dpnoll

Post by dpnoll »

It was a real nice crowd. I didn't buy anything either but had some good discussions with vendors.

trouts

Post by trouts »

I have not gone in many years and thought it was a good show. Picked up a few tying things, but had no interest in getting any new gear.

FlyFisherJoe

Post by FlyFisherJoe »

I’ve been the last 2 years and it was the exact same this year. I did however meet Tom Rosenbauer and did sit in on one of his seminars. Awesome guy

trouts

Post by trouts »

I forgot to mention it was nice to see Snowbee there and starting to make their way in the US market more. Took a look at their thistledown line meant for 2-5wt rods. Couldn't get any information on the grain weight from them. Just looked like like a heavy WF 4wt line with a very thin running line to me. Frustrated I couldn't get a grain weight from them. I won't buy lines without this info because you can't assume anything based on how line companies label lines anymore.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

trouts wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:49 am
I forgot to mention it was nice to see Snowbee there and starting to make their way in the US market more. Took a look at their thistledown line meant for 2-5wt rods. Couldn't get any information on the grain weight from them. Just looked like like a heavy WF 4 wt line with a very thin running line to me. Frustrated I couldn't get a grain weight from them. I won't buy lines without this info because you can't assume anything based on how line companies label lines anymore.
Most rod manufactures aren't much better. The rods they design are really better suited for a line wt. heavier or even more sometimes. Example, if i'm buying a 2 wt. rod its because I want a more delicate presentation with a lighter weight line, but then if you're not careful with the line you buy, you end up with a line that is a half wt. heavier than its suppose to be, or even a full line wt. heavier. Another example, if i buy a 4 wt rod, but are forced to fish a 5 wt line in order to load the rod properly, than i'm really fishing 5 wt rod NOT a 4 wt rod. :o

I'm glad there are companies like the 406 Fly Line Company who still produce true to weight fly lines. Most of the big name fly line companies are lucky if they have even one line model that is close to true line wt. specs. :(