Favorite Hatch

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
brntrout

Favorite Hatch

Post by brntrout »

Just for fun what's your favorite hatch to fish in SE Minnesota? My favorite is the grey caddis hatch. Not only can this hatch produce great catches of fish, but just seeing the hatch come off in most years can be a spectacle in itself. At times this hatch can come off so heavy every square inch of the streams surface can be covered with insects, its like having a blizzard of bugs happening. If you want to know how many trout there is in a section of stream be on the stream when this hatch takes place, as just about every trout in the stream will be up near the surface feeding on this prolific hatch! :D

mcktrout

Re: Favorite Hatch

Post by mcktrout »

BWO. Usually the first very active dry fly action. A welcome sight after a long winter.

Grey Caddis definitely gets honorable mention.

TFO5wt

Post by TFO5wt »

I know it's not really a hatch, but mine is the hopper "hatch" on one of those days where they're jumping in every direction with each step taken and fish are hammering them with reckless abandon.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

TFO5wt wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:05 am
I know it's not really a hatch, but mine is the hopper "hatch" on one of those days where they're jumping in every direction with each step taken and fish are hammering them with reckless abandon.
Grasshoppers do hatch but they are terrestrial in nature. So really it is a hatch but different from aquatic invertebrate species. The "hopper hatch" can be awesome in certain years. I believe I had my best hopper fishing ever in SE MN just last year. Trout were really on them and not just the smaller fish either. I had a number of fish over 15 inches with my largest being 18 inches. I also had a number days I caught at least a couple dozen trout on hoppers, that's good hopper fishing in anyone's book. I like to use the old Madame X fly to imitate hoppers and usually do very well with that pattern.

trouts

Post by trouts »

This is a tough question for me. I really enjoy any hatch.
BWO's would be my first choice. Brings up some big fish and has some length to it. Grey caddis would be my first choice, but it is so short lived if you don't time it right all you catch is the tail end by the next weekend during most years.

Tricos are a close 3rd for me. Fish them till they are done and fish terristials the rest of the day.

High Stick

Post by High Stick »

1. Dark Hendrickson
2. March Brown
3. Terrestrial

Least favorite: crane flies. I've been on the water in early May, and they are everywhere...but fishing them with dries has been tough sledding.

TaG

Post by TaG »

My favorite is the one that comes off while I’m fishing😁..I have limited time to get out so I really can’t say I have gone out with the intent of fishing a specific hatch. I usually take my B-day off in mid April and have stumbled on to Light Hendrickson, Grey Caddis and some pretty good BWO hatches. I am humbled by the knowledge of a lot of you folks regarding specific streams and what will be hatching when. That’s my one of goals when I retire, fish more and keep a log. Hopefully I can pass that down to my grandkids someday.

darklake

Post by darklake »

Mine would be the dark hendrickson hatch, as my son and I hit it once a few years ago and had epic dry fly fishing. Right place, right time, right fly -- one of those rare times when it all comes together. And especially nice to share it with him. I remember him coming up to me and muttering "This is crazy!"

And it was.

TFO5wt

Post by TFO5wt »

My first season with a fly rod I hit an excellent D.H. hatch in the afternoon after struggling all am. I left the stream that day thinking I had fly angling all figured out. That was 15 or so years ago. What a foolish thought.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

TFO5wt wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:32 pm
I left the stream that day thinking I had fly angling all figured out. That was 15 or so years ago. What a foolish thought.
Love this quote! :lol:

There is no such thing as knowing everything about anything let alone fly fishing! ;) In fly fishing many days of awesome fishing can at times be followed by some very humbling days on the stream. ;)