Fiberglass Rod Revival

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
brntrout

Fiberglass Rod Revival

Post by brntrout »

How many of you fish fiberglass rods on occasion? I've heard some of the newer glass rods have the same feel of the traditional glass rods, but are not quite as slow. Does anyone have experience with any of the a newer glass rods, if so, what do you feel is the best new glass rod, IYO? ;)

trouts

Re: Fiberglass Rod Revival

Post by trouts »

I fish glass at least 1/2 the time I'm fishing. The other 1/2 is older graphite such as the Winston WT or DL4 if I'm not fishing bamboo.
Much of the newer glass has the recovery of medium action graphite. Certainly not the cannons that many of the fast actioned graphite rods have of today, but how many times does one need to cast past 40-50 feet in the driftless? They certainly aren't the noodly, horrible tip bounce 8 1/2'+ glass rods of the 50-60's.

I have more rods than I want to admit, but these glass rods get fished frequently each season.

1 Scott F2 723/4. 3wt
2. Hardy Perfection 7 1/2' 4wt from the 90's with the black colored blanks.
3. Barclay 7' 10" 5wt
4. Livingston 8' 9" 5wt. Surprisingly light for glass this long.

brntrout

Re: Fiberglass Rod Revival

Post by brntrout »

trouts wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:52 pm
I fish glass at least 1/2 the time I'm fishing. The other 1/2 is older graphite such as the Winston WT or DL4 if I'm not fishing bamboo.
Much of the newer glass has the recovery of medium action graphite. Certainly not the cannons that many of the fast actioned graphite rods have of today, but how many times does one need to cast past 40-50 feet in the driftless? They certainly aren't the noodly, horrible tip bounce 8 1/2'+ glass rods of the 50-60's.

I have more rods than I want to admit, but these glass rods get fished frequently each season.

1 Scott F2 723/4. 3wt
3. Barclay 7' 10" 5wt
trouts wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:52 pm

1 Scott F2 723/4. 3wt
3. Barclay 7' 10" 5wt
Brent, of this bunch of rods which is your favorite? I'm interested in possibly buying a new glass rod. I've heard most the new glass rods being made are no longer noodle rods. I would probably want to buy a 3 or 4 wt. in 7'-6" to 8' length. I have done some research the Chris Barclay rods seem like a real option? As does the Livingston rods built by Dusty Smith? One thing about medium to medium fast action rods whether there glass or graphite they do help one play and land large trout much better than stiff super fast graphite or boron rods. That is especially true in lighter line weighs.