Trout Hunter Fluorocarbon Tippet Material

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
brntrout

Trout Hunter Fluorocarbon Tippet Material

Post by brntrout »

I recently bought some Trout Hunter tippet material but I have never used it before. So, I was wondering if anyone has experience with this tippet material?

Based on reviews its suppose to be one of the best, or the best, tippet material out there. I do like the fact they produce half wt. tippet sizes. I bought a spool of 5X and 5.5X it should be interesting putting it to the test?
Last edited by brntrout on Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Stick

Re: Trout Hunter Fluorocarbon Tippet Material

Post by High Stick »

I have heard the same positive reviews about Trout Hunter. I'm still a dyed in the wool Rio fluoro guy, but I will be interested in hearing your assessment of it.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

High Stick wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:30 pm
I have heard the same positive reviews about Trout Hunter. I'm still a dyed in the wool Rio fluoro guy, but I will be interested in hearing your assessment of it.
I normally use Rio Fluorocarbon Plus a lot of the time, but decided to try Trout Hunter as it comes in 50 m spools and is slightly cheaper than Rio on 30 m spools. In testing the Trout Hunter tippet supposedly does as well or better than Rio and I like the idea you can get it in half X sizes as well. Some times 5X is a little heavy and 6X is a little light but 5.5X might be just right, I guess I'll find out?

I will do a product report when I get a chance to use it enough to compare with Rio tippet!

trouts

Post by trouts »

I like the fact they have half sizes. Their floro seems fine, but I had twisting problems with their mono. It would get tangles and twisted up. Thought it might just be the day and larger dry flies I was using but it happened multiple times. I switch to other brands of tippet with the exact same flies and had no issues at all. I ended up just throwing it out. Must have just been a bad batch.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

trouts wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:32 pm
I like the fact they have half sizes. Their floro seems fine, but I had twisting problems with their mono. It would get tangles and twisted up. Thought it might just be the day and larger dry flies I was using but it happened multiple times. I switch to other brands of tippet with the exact same flies and had no issues at all. I ended up just throwing it out. Must have just been a bad batch.
Trouts, have you tried Rio Powerflex Plus yet(mono)? I have a few spools in 5X - 6lbs test and 6X - 4lbs. I use it primary for fishing dry flies. It doesn't seem to twist and does have a very high breaking strength when wet.

trouts

Post by trouts »

brntrout wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:54 am
trouts wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:32 pm
Trouts, have you tried Rio Powerflex Plus yet(mono)? I have a few spools in 5X - 6lbs test and 6X - 4lbs. I use it primary for fishing dry flies. It doesn't seem to twist and does have a very high breaking strength when wet.
That's exactly what I was using before I bought the TH. Not sure why I bought something else like the TH. Guess I just wanted to try something different. Just bought more Rio 3 days ago. Have always had good luck with Rio tippet. I like the fact the new Powerflex Plus has 50 vs 30 yards and is stronger for the diameter.