Perfect Weather for Weekend Angling

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
TFO5wt

Re: Perfect Weather for Weekend Angling

Post by TFO5wt »

I fished 8:30-4 south of 90 Saturday. Beautiful, March-like weather. Fishing was good. Had a 2 hour window where the fish were aggressively feeding on typical winter nymphs. Midges were coming off but only saw one rise. Afternoon bluebird skies and low winter sun made it challenging to get in fishing position without plastering my 20 foot shadow on the water, but I was able to stick some fish. Great way to start 2019.
Last edited by TFO5wt on Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

trouts

Post by trouts »

Buddy and I fished south of 90 yesterday. Fishing was good with action most of the day. There were plenty of midges out, but only a few pods of rising fish and a few scattered risers here and there. I think I got 5 fish on dries and everything else came subsurface. Couldn't get a more beautiful day to be outside this time of the year.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

It looks like the weather again will be perfect for another weekend of winter angling. Based on the current weather forecast it looks to be good all the way through next Tuesday. The lack of snow depth, sunshine and air temperatures in the low to mid 30's most days is about as good as it gets for January fishing in most years! Stream clarity should be gin clear to "maybe" slightly stained at worst. 8-)

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

I passed on the weekend and am more than likely going to spend several hours on the stream tomorrow. IMO the #1 factor in turning fish off is pressure.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

jrs

Post by jrs »

Fished mid-day Sunday. Water was pretty clear -- definitely clearer than a couple weeks ago. While most of the snow is gone, there are patches on the banks that are very icy and slick from old, compressed snow and refreeze -- watch your step!

We nymph fished with various larger attractor nymphs trailed by various #18-#20 midge larva. An orange scud trailed by a black/silver zebra midge seemed to be best for me, but Perdigons, rainbow scuds, and cream colored midges also worked. Fish seemed to be stacked up in deeper, slower water areas. Getting a deep dead drift in these somewhat slower water areas while keeping contact to detect soft strikes was the real trick. We were able to hook quite a few fish from a couple spots where the fish were stacked up. Pretty typical winter nymph fishing IMO.

There were quite a few midges hatching and few fish rising somewhat consistently. It seemed like the hatch cycled a bit through the mid-day with a peak around 3 pm. My buddy took a shot at a few fish with a midge dry on our way out. But between glare from the quickly lowering sun and spooky fish in a clear, flat water area, it didn't pan out.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Sounds like typical winter fishing ! Any fish of size? BTW did the fish appear to be in good condition or a little on the skinny side?

What's interesting is at the moment we should have another excellent year class of trout PROVIDED we don't receive any high water events between now and March 1st. On the other hand average water temps might be up a tiny bit so the hatch of YOY fish could come off earlier. So far weather & stream conditions should also be favorable for good to excellent invert hatches. Of course, that all depends on whether or not we get by without severe flooding this winter/spring????

trouts

Post by trouts »

Got out with 2 friends on Sunday. They were mostly fishing streamers and I started out nymphing. Fish were taking both when presented correctly. Everything I caught came on a scud trailer except for one that took the lead nymphs. Once fish started to rise I fished midge dries for the rest of the day. There were a couple pods of steadily rising fish, but most were just a fish or two here and there looking up. Midge hatch never really developed, but there were enough bugs to bring up the smaller fish. I'll never complain catching fish on top. Highlight of the day was a 16" brookie one of my buddies caught.

Several of the fish from the last two weekends looked skinny. Most were healthy looking, but overall I would say fish were thinner than recent years.

jay92

Post by jay92 »

brntrout wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:06 pm
Sounds like typical winter fishing ! Any fish of size? BTW did the fish appear to be in good condition or a little on the skinny side?

What's interesting is at the moment we should have another excellent year class of trout PROVIDED we don't receive any high water events between now and March 1st. On the other hand average water temps might be up a tiny bit so the hatch of YOY fish could come off earlier. So far weather & stream conditions should also be favorable for good to excellent invert hatches. Of course, that all depends on whether or not we get by without severe flooding this winter/spring????
Tom, I think the biggest was about 15". Some were on the skinny side, but we got quite a few chubby ones too.

dpnoll

Post by dpnoll »

Fished S of I90 today for 2 1/2 hrs and landed 8 browns and a rainbow using a size 18 tungsten bead head. Most of the fish came from spots where they were supposed to be.

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

The weather wasnt what I was hoping for and I ended up taking my daughter to the chiropractor so Never made it out. I now have my rod and gear in my yukon so i can and will go at a moments notice. I've only made it out once this season so far.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold