Happy New Year & 2019 SE MN Trout Opener

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
brntrout

Happy New Year & 2019 SE MN Trout Opener

Post by brntrout »

Well its another year and another trout season. Anyone have plans for new fishing gear,fly patterns or new streams try out this winter/year? Also for new gear did Santa treat you well? :D

Cutthroat

Re: Happy New Year & 2019 SE MN Trout Opener

Post by Cutthroat »

Happy 2019! I bought myself a new rod case for Christmas. Hope to get down to the Driftless Area in April...

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Cutthroat, If you do come down in April our SUPER Caddis hatches usually start on most streams some time between April 20th if its been warmer than average, or around April 25th if been closer to normal. ( whatever that is now days)

If we don't have any serious spring flooding our Spring Caddis hatches should be spectacular! FYI most of the streams in SE MN have not really suffered many major flood events in years so invert populations are in the best shape they have been in in years! Keep in mind there has been SOME areas that flooded badly but on the overall most areas are in good shape. The bad flooding occurred in some parts of SE Houston County.

trouts

Post by trouts »

Happy 2019 everyone! Bought myself a Critchfield 4wt on one of his all around tapers. Also got some skins for soft hackles and salmon flies for Christmas. Hope everyone has a great 2019 fishing season.

Randy
Site Admin

Post by Randy »

Happy New Year! Looks like today may not have been too bad of a day to get out there with some sun and light wind.

I got a new fishpond waist pack I'm looking forward to using this season. Still working on tying more flies and reorganizing the mess of stuff from last season...

TFO5wt

Post by TFO5wt »

No new gear for me, but I do plan on buying a new saddle hackle this winter. I'll get out this weekend. I'm going to mess around with a drop-shot rig when tight lining and see if I can save a few more flies.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

pgdean

Post by pgdean »

Fished SE MN today. Much warmer than expected. Not many fish, but nice to get out.

WhiteGlovedHowdy

Post by WhiteGlovedHowdy »

Fished north of 90 this a.m. Small stream 11:00 a.m. 9 degrees. Caught fish in riffles, and in deeper water at end of runs. It was strikingly cold, but managed a couple hours fishing before retiring to a local tavern. Black Tung head nymph seemed to work well. Sounds like warmer weather down the road a few days. Water was in great shape today. Sunny. Got home in time to take a small pack of beagles out to worry the rabbits. Good way to start a new year.

Cutthroat

Post by Cutthroat »

brntrout wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:43 am
Cutthroat, If you do come down in April our SUPER Caddis hatches usually start on most streams some time between April 20th if its been warmer than average, or around April 25th if been closer to normal. ( whatever that is now days)

If we don't have any serious spring flooding our Spring Caddis hatches should be spectacular! FYI most of the streams in SE MN have not really suffered many major flood events in years so invert populations are in the best shape they have been in in years! Keep in mind there has been SOME areas that flooded badly but on the overall most areas are in good shape. The bad flooding occurred in some parts of SE Houston County.
Thanks, brntrout. I try to get down there to camp and fish every spring, but last spring was wet and cold when I could head south, so it didn't happen.