Nov.TU Hatch Chart

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
WhiteGlovedHowdy

Nov.TU Hatch Chart

Post by WhiteGlovedHowdy »

Your Thoughts on the November TU hatch chart?

jrs

Re: Nov.TU Hatch Chart

Post by jrs »

WhiteGlovedHowdy wrote:Your Thoughts on the November TU hatch chart?
Eh. Pretty hard to cover the whole state with one chart and for SE MN, I'm not sure it adds much over the DNR hatch chart.

I've also come to rely on my own annotated chart with hatch temps, bug sizes I've measured (which don't always match the charts), notes specific to SE MN or even streams, tidbits from this board, etc.

For example, the fall Slate Drakes are limited to a few specific SE MN streams, the bugs I've seen run a size or two larger than the chart, and swinging or actively fishing a wet fly or wiggly nymph is the main method.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Most hatch charts are just a "rough guideline" for what an area may have for different invert species. Our area (SE MN)at one point had far more species than what is listed on that chart and its not even close. Just the difference between certain "individual" streams or even different sections of the same streams can be quite different at times. Example: there are many different species of caddis that are present in streams near the Iowa boarder but are not present in say, the WW area. There used to be a certain Ephemerella species that was in Canfield Creek that I saw nowhere else, even in the other streams in Forestville State Park which are basically all tied together within the Park boundaries.

I would even say the hatch chart is rather crude at best!

TFO5wt

Post by TFO5wt »

I think this hatch chart, or any for that matter, are helpful for someone just getting started in fly fishing and/or tying. Beyond that, most of us have our own chart, either on paper or in our heads, and coinciding flies. It also appears Carl is a big fan of the HE nymph.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

brntrout

Re:

Post by brntrout »

TFO5wt wrote:I think this hatch chart, or any for that matter, are helpful for someone just getting started in fly fishing and/or tying. Beyond that, most of us have our own chart, either on paper or in our heads, and coinciding flies. It also appears Carl is a big fan of the HE nymph.
Good point TFO, we all have to start somewhere.