How are the gnats?

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
TaG

How are the gnats?

Post by TaG »

Heading out tomorrow evening, am I going to need my head net? Last time out I forgot it and my eyes were swollen for two days :shock:

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

IMO, the gnat situation is minimal at present. But if you react to them as you mention, any are to many for you!

High Stick

Post by High Stick »

I fished most of the morning through the noon hour yesterday, and the gnats were not an issue.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

My elder son reacts to gnats the same as TaG, he has been out lately and had no problems with gnats. I think the biting gnat problem is pretty much finished for the year as far as I can tell!

HubieGreen

Post by HubieGreen »

We kayaked the Root yesterday near Preston - no gnats.

trouts

Re: How are the gnats?

Post by trouts »

Was out for about 6 hours yesterday and only had a few gnats around.

Randy
Site Admin

Post by Randy »

Didn't notice the gnats last night or deer flies. A few mosquitoes, fireflies, and a couple of bulls in a fight

TaG

Post by TaG »

Happy to report nary a gnat was seen! Fished from 3-7 pm south of 90. Water was clear, I didn’t get a stream temp but wet wading was very comfortable. A smattering of bugs coming off but not enough to keep fish rising consistently. Didn’t see many hoppers streamside.
Fishing was solid, caught fish on prince nymph, EHC, Purple Adams but most came on my variation of the Shillinglaw emerger trailed behind the Caddis and Adams. Great evening to be on the water!