New Stream Project to Check Out

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
brntrout

New Stream Project to Check Out

Post by brntrout »

For those of you who fish stream restoration projects the upper portion of Garvin Brook adjacent to Farmers Park has just been completed. So far I have heard mixed reviews about this woody debris/Rosgen type project. If you check it out let us know what you think about this project?

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

I drove through the other day and it didnt look like much of anything had been done other than some dirt being moved around. They use a lot of erosion fabric staked down with tons of wooden stakes to trip over when the grass grows tall. My first opinion was that the stream channel was to wide and I am hoping to take a walk through of the project in the next day or two.

You guys know I dont like to fish project water all that much but it all has a time and place. I like to check them out when I have a chance to see what techniques are being used. Another thing to keep in mind for those few of us who dont like H.I. work is not to form an opinion on it until about the third year after the project because it will likely look and fish different a few years down the road. There is a couple That I am somewhat excited to see what they look like and how they fish but I think I'll wait until next fall or the fall after to make a decision on weather or not to ever fish them again.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

High Stick

Post by High Stick »

My initial response after seeing it first hand two days ago (upper Garvin) was one word: junk. Sure, I can reserve judgment for a few years later, but when woody debris/Rosgen is used, I'm not a fan, and I will never be a fan of a Colorado based stream restoration method being used in southeast Minnesota.

Unlike Cam, I do fish H.Il. areas as there are some that are very good. Upper Garvin is not int that category. I guess time will tell, but I would not be overly optimistic.

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

I want to know how much this project costed!!!! Any redneck in a bulldozer could have done the same thing in a three day weekend. I just walked a good share of it moments ago. I like that the left some trees. With that said there are multiple elm trees that were left right along the bank. One of them is good sized and i cant imagine it will still be alive five years from now. looks like they just jug some holes with an excavator that will more than likely just silt in in the next year. They did place some large rocks in the stream here and there. Virtually zero overhead cover and any that there is will be short lived. Banks are sloped well so that will help if nothing else.

IMO complete waste of money. Hope it didnt cost over $25K but I know better than that.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

There was $130,000 Lessard Sams funding available to do the project. What the actual cost of the project ended up being I'm not sure, but I'll guess it was at least $100,000.

Lowering/sloping the banks "too much" is not necessarily always a good thing. The reason for that it takes a certain volume (mass) of water contained within the streams banks during flooding(velocity)to create enough energy to scour out/maintain pool depth. Mass time velocity equals energy. In this case we are talking about the effect hydrology has on maintaining or creating pool depth necessary for adult trout populations to survive!

However, I'm NOT going to say that is the case on this project until I see it firsthand.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

I just got an email from one of Win-Cres TU guys and he advised me not to check out the project as I might throw up! That doesn't sound good to me.

BlackDog

Post by BlackDog »

There is s video in FaceBook if several long logs planted perpendicular to the stream into the bank for overhead cover. They are 10’ into the bank, and hang out perhaps 5 or 6 feet inti the stream. I can’t imagine this lasting or helping to stabilize the bank in a flood. I’ll post the video if I can figure out how.
----------beer
E=MC

BlackDog

Re: New Stream Project to Check Out

Post by BlackDog »

Here is a still picture of the logs.
Attachments
BCFAA77E-DFF6-40F1-9C9E-B79274ADF804.jpeg
----------beer
E=MC

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Since I haven't checked out this project I'm not going to comment on whether its good or bad. I was hoping others would comment on the project and provide their POV!

A friend of my son fished it recently and said there was so much wood in the stream "he" felt it was almost unfishable. IMO if anglers/taxpayers money is spent on these types of project they should at least be designed for BOTH anglers and trout, not too mention improving habitat for in-stream forage species as well.

The use of wood in a project, "done right", can provide habitat for trout and still be fishable for anglers at same time. If its not, it defeats the purpose of why anglers money is spent on trout projects IMO!

Trout anglers do not spend their hard earned money on licenses and trout stamps and gear in order to go some place to fish that has been made unfishable using THEIR MONEY! In real life if a company did that to their customers they would be out of business in a heart beat!