Anyone Been Fishing This Week

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
brntrout

Anyone Been Fishing This Week

Post by brntrout »

I haven't been fishing in about 5 days has anyone been out and how are stream conditions currently?

Wendy Berrell

Re: Anyone Been Fishing This Week

Post by Wendy Berrell »

I fished south of 90 yesterday. Did a solo-van-drop using my bike, meaning left van at end point, biked 3.1 miles to start with my gear, and fished up to van. Heck of a day. Water in great shape. Started a little slow because I haven't trout fished since May something. Had to remind myself that fish in different lays, e.g. water that looks far too shallow and fast to even hold fish. 1030-200 PM used both streamers and nymphs to land something like fifteen fish. A little slow. But after observing how the fish bolted to the streamer at point of slapping water, I was prompted to switch to a foam hopper. It got silly real quick. Meaning catching 12-15 fish in about 20 minutes, basically bass fishing for trout with giant ugly foam fly. Was treated to some ridiculous visuals: fish coming up from pool bottoms, basically straight or nearly-straight charges, taking fly and continuing up into complete air-immersion. One fish in particular was hiding at a ledge drop into a pool. I floated the hopper down into pool and the fish rose, grabbed fly, and quickly descended back to hiding. At that point I was kind of playing tag more than aggressively murdering fish. So I waited a second and watched him go. Then set hook.

Kept a limit of perfectly sized 11-12" browns.

WhiteGlovedHowdy

Post by WhiteGlovedHowdy »

Looked at water n of 90. Would have fished one spot but there were three anglers. Went south. More people. Ended up fishing a smaller stream. Caught fish on stimy. Note: county fair starts today in Preston. No cleated wading boots allowed on Ferris wheel. Don't ask how I know that.

High Stick

Post by High Stick »

No cleated wading boots allowed on Ferris wheel. Don't ask how I know that.
That's the funniest think I've read on this forum in a while.

Justin - glad you bonked some fish to take home. That rhetoric on another thread is getting nauseating.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

High Stick wrote:
No cleated wading boots allowed on Ferris wheel. Don't ask how I know that.
That's the funniest think I've read on this forum in a while.

Justin - glad you bonked some fish to take home. That rhetoric on another thread is getting nauseating.
Justin sounds like you had a great time. And yes, your right, the rhetoric on another thread is getting a little over the top!

mjewen

Post by mjewen »

I fished on Tue, 7/17, north of I90. Fished a stretch of a popular stream for a little over 2 hours and caught a lot of 10-11" fish. Per the other thread I kept my limit. The fish were not overly skinny. Headed east to check out a stream a friend told me about. Had troubles finding it except at a bridge where it was a mere trickle. The road never got real close to the stream and I didn't see any access points. Headed back to original stream and did well again on a lower stretch. Trout were bigger here than my previous spot upstream. I did not have a thermometer but it seemed the water was not it's usual cool temp. Weather was perfect and stream was clear.

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

I made it out on Friday evening for about an hour in the WW as well and also kept fish. My wife wasn't around so my son and I made quick work of the fish. Delicious.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold