Rate Your 2018 Trout Fishing Season

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
brntrout

Rate Your 2018 Trout Fishing Season

Post by brntrout »

For fun, on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 representing super fishing and 1 representing poor fishing how would you rate your season so far? This applies to just SE Minnesota trout fishing.

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

As far as the fishing goes id rate it a 10. I would rate my season overall as a 5 however because of the lack of times ive been out.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

jrs

Re: Rate Your 2018 Trout Fishing Season

Post by jrs »

Every year is good, as long as I'm able to still get out!

This year has been challenging at times with weather (eg, April snow storms), high water, and disrupted spring hatches. But looking back at my journal for 2016, 2017, and 2018, I'm pretty much where I was the last couple years in terms of fishing time and fish caught. Also about the same in terms of 16" or better fish (although this year was bolstered by some super size bows stocked in a particular stream). Maybe a few more fish, but a few less larger fish this year but probably not a significant difference.

I'm also optimistic about the 2nd half of the year. The spring like flows we have right now should make for good fishing through the summer and early fall.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

For me personally its about an 8.5 rating. Lots of quality size trout 12" to 16" and better than normal numbers of trout 17 inches or slightly better. I have also hooked a number of fish over 20 inches but for some reason I haven't landed any as of yet?( tippet break offs, or hook pull outs)

"For me" there is no 10 rating. So a 8.5 is a pretty high rating for me.

trouts

Post by trouts »

I would give it an 8 so far this season. Fishing has been very good, but the hatches have not been what they were compared to seasons past. Everything seemed to all come at once or never really developed much at all. No complaints though, I’m happy anytime I can get out and fish.

TaG

Post by TaG »

Mine has been a 4.......the exact number of times I have been out ☹️
When I have made it out fishing has been decent.

High Stick

Post by High Stick »

8. Some decent caddis hatches at times, streamer fishing was decent at times, watched a few fish well over 20 in broad daylight yesterday chill at the bottom of a pool, so I know where a few bruisers are down the road. Looking forward to some tricos and terrestrials shortly. The weird weather, combined with periods of serious rain, has made fishing challenging at times but not impossible. Been a good year overall.

jay92

Post by jay92 »

I'd go with an 8 as well. Numbers have been good, with a pretty good quantity of better sized fish. Haven't been able to time hatches very well with available time to fish. A smattering of baetis action. Missed the gray caddis completely. Hope to do better with evening fishing to tan caddis and the fall baetis. There certainly has been enough rain to fill up the rivers.

winonaflyfactory

Post by winonaflyfactory »

I'm gonna go with 7.5/10. I've fished a lot this season and explored new water. I've knocked on doors and called landowners to gain access to several spots I have always wanted to fish but never quite went far enough as to speak with landowners. Caught a few amazing brook trout on one of the spots and was recently granted access to fish a couple ponds known to hold brookies...hoping I might find a beast brook trout hanging out. As a fly angler this past two weeks has been very good for me. I've been pushed by a good friend of mine to re-visit fishing different dry flies during the evening when few fish are rising and having a blast bringing trout out on a quickly skittered cranefly or a well greased caddis. Solid 7.5

I'd also say that my angling this season has pushed my photography and cinematography to a new level which I am proud of but not as of yet satisfied, very good for the motivation to get out and get after it. Looking forward to more hoppers, tricos, fall, the rain, and yes....probably Iowa for a few trips. Might get that 7.5 up to 8.5.

winonaflyfactory

Re: Rate Your 2018 Trout Fishing Season

Post by winonaflyfactory »

I changed my mind. I didn’t take into consideration that this was the first year I’ve had a kid I could take with me and despite perhaps those days being less about fishing and more about exposing my daughter to the outdoors and the streams my year gets a full point bump for that. I’m gonna bump my score up another .5 after fishing a pond created when beavers dammed up a spring on some private land that I was fortunate enough to get access to. The fish in this spot although not terribly big had likely never seen a fly or angler in their existence as the landowner told me no one has ever fished it. Truly a unique experience for me this year worthy of a bump in the total score. I’m sitting at a solid 9 right now and we still have tricos and fall yet to come it’s been a good year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk