Traveling - Road Trip Recommendations? U.P. Ontario..

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
KhakiSam

Traveling - Road Trip Recommendations? U.P. Ontario..

Post by KhakiSam »

Hey everyone,

I am heading out for a little road trip out to Montreal / Vermont. We are taking the U.P. to Ontario and hope to fish a few places along the way. I've done a little research, but would be interested if anyone has direct intel on these areas. Atlantic salmon are on the agenda at Sault Ste. Marie... pretty excited for that!

Oh, and to recap the BWCA trip I took earlier this summer. Everyone that recommended bass fishing was absolutely right! The brook trout mission proved to be a wash--although we did catch very tiny brookies close to shore on dries.

On the way back, we stopped in Ensign lake and had a blast fishing for smallies, which were right up in the weeds. So--I stand corrected! :)

WhiteGlovedHowdy

Post by WhiteGlovedHowdy »

I went to school at Middlebury College in vt. Fished a lot. Middlebury river on rt 7 in the gorge. New Haven river, Otter creek. Up by Burlington the Winoski river. The mad river, the black, you must get a photo by a covered bridge on the battenkill. Don't know how far south you're going and I rarely fished the ne kingdom. One weekend I fished Rockefeller's stretch of the Beaverkill in ny. Private water with surveillance camers's. His nieghbor, a dairy farmer's daughter, got me on the river. Huge fish. Private security too. Water temperature and flow is truly important on those vt streams they warm fast and flows can depend on snow pack. If possible come back through Pensylvania. Latort, Yellow Breeches, many other cool streams. VT is a nice place almost too perfect.

KhakiSam

Post by KhakiSam »

Did you get her number? :)

WhiteGlovedHowdy

Post by WhiteGlovedHowdy »

That's another story... I'd fish the pigeon river in Michigan too. The Big Two-Hearted River by Hemingway was based on that river. One of the great stories about the healing power of nature.

Cutthroat

Post by Cutthroat »

If you were traveling north of Lake Superior in May or September you could have some of the finest fishing of your life. But not in July...